Colorado/Kansas

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone thought the effects of the blizzard would have on the short term cattle market. I hope Jake is alright, I dont think he is that far west, but I am sure he got some snow.

Dad was at a barn in ND yesterday bidding on a customers group of calves and all of our feedlots told us not to send them any this week due to the storms and he was visiting with a bigger calf buyer there and he had 6 feedlots cancel out on him do to the weather. One of our guys were watering the cattle they have with generators. Another feedlot was solid ice and he did not want cattle walking around and hurting themselves.

The market was back about 8 bucks yesterday from what it was before the storms. It was a buyers market if you had a place to go with them.

How much snow did the area recieve? I've heard bits and pieces on the radio but haven't been around a tv long enough to see any pictures. Heard they were using aircraft to drop hay in for livestock? My prayers go out to those folks and their animals.

cfpinz

Southeastern Colorado received 3-4 feet in many areas. The problem is all the wind they get with it. They can have some very dangerous blizzards on the plains. We usually get alot more snow in the mountains but not so much wind.

I talked to some friends that live in Las Animas Colorado Wednesday. They said they had lost 4 calves in their corals and were still unable to get to the pasture their cows were in. They were expecting to get a air drop to them that mourning.

I think cattle prices should go up just not right away. Last year at this time Texas and Oklahoma were having bad fires and now it sounds like most areas have received some moisture. As soon as the grass starts to grow and peope start restocking I think prices could go high.

The last big snow we had here was back in 96 or 97, got about 3 feet total, drifts over my head in places. The only thing moving for a couple days was the dozers and 4wd tractors.

cfpinz

Thanks for the concern Kansas. We got about 6-8 inches of know. Grandpa is callin it the blizzard because of how fast it all came. Lost 2 baby calves, 1 yearling, and a cow and it's an absolute mess in the lots and around the yard. Truck can't hardly get around don't know what we'll do if we get any of the tractors stuck.

Jake,
Sorry to hear about your losses. I cant imagine how devastating it was for those folks that got 1 or 2 or 3 feet of snow, if 6-8 inches created your losses. I am certain it will be weeks before some folks even find out what their losses were. Good luck over there Jake.

Jake,
Sorry to hear about your losses. I cant imagine how devastating it was for those folks that got 1 or 2 or 3 feet of snow, if 6-8 inches created your losses. I am certain it will be weeks before some folks even find out what their losses were. Good luck over there Jake.

snow like that is always bad because of the fact that the cows are huddled for so long weathering the storm that it's easy for day old calves to get tramped into the mud. The cow was a fluke deal same with the yearling. They both probably would have died if they storm didn't hit they just happened to hit the timing. like they say "can't save them all, can't lose them all"