color patterns resulting from simmental crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

galloway fan

Reaction score
Can anyone give me information about color patterns that result from crossing simmentals with solid color eg black cattle. From what I have read, there seems to be different patterns of inheritance of stocking and blaze patterns

galloway fan":1efsziq6 said:
Can anyone give me information about color patterns that result from crossing simmentals with solid color eg black cattle. From what I have read, there seems to be different patterns of inheritance of stocking and blaze patterns

In many ways it a crapshoot as to what you'll get. The spotting gene combinations throw seem interesting curves.
It seems (to me anyway) that there are kind of a spotting gene combination, an anti-spotting gene combination and a neutral spotting gene combination. The anti will prevent any spotting, the neutral will allow spotting and the actual spotting gene in combination with the neutral will give you spotting. The same applies to stocking, white face, neck patch etc. That's just my views from seeing some rather interesting results when breeding various coat patterns

dun

Most of the popular Simmental cattle here in the states are solid coat patterened.. the Simmental breeders have been working on this for years. The old type "blond" cows were considered "spotters", and you'd almost always get a calf with a lot of white. If you have some of the Fleckvieh influenced Simmental you'll run the risk of more "spots".

With my spotted and Fleck influenced Simmentals bred to a homozygous black bull, I generally will get a sock or two, a little white one the belly perhaps, and maybe a white face, but I've never had one that spotted up like it's dam.

dun":18arff5f said:
galloway fan":18arff5f said:

In many ways it a crapshoot as to what you'll get. The spotting gene combinations throw seem interesting curves.
It seems (to me anyway) that there are kind of a spotting gene combination, an anti-spotting gene combination and a neutral spotting gene combination. The anti will prevent any spotting, the neutral will allow spotting and the actual spotting gene in combination with the neutral will give you spotting. The same applies to stocking, white face, neck patch etc. That's just my views from seeing some rather interesting results when breeding various coat patterns

Thanks for responding. Do you have any experience with what happens when an unmarked simmental / solid (galloway) bull is backcrossed to a solid cow (galloway)??? From such a croos, we have obtained about 20% marked calves.

dun

I have Simmental blood in some of my cows. Often they will have that tell tale stripe across the shoulders. There is also a dilution factor in their genetic makeup that can cause a very pale yellow or golden color which is quite recognizable if you are familiar with the breed. There are a few websites dedicated to this very subject if you search google for "cattle color genetics" and things of that nature.

TexasCountryWoman":1220d1z6 said:
I have Simmental blood in some of my cows. Often they will have that tell tale stripe across the shoulders. There is also a dilution factor in their genetic makeup that can cause a very pale yellow or golden color which is quite recognizable if you are familiar with the breed. There are a few websites dedicated to this very subject if you search google for "cattle color genetics" and things of that nature.

Interesting --the more I hear about colour patterns, the more intrigued I am. I'm particularly interested in whether there are different patterns of markings from crossing with different breeds, and which generation the markings show up in --the first cross, or later generations? Anyone know???

galloway fan":36znnr7t said:
Interesting --the more I hear about colour patterns, the more intrigued I am. I'm particularly interested in whether there are different patterns of markings from crossing with different breeds, and which generation the markings show up in --the first cross, or later generations? Anyone know???

try this link:

http://www.animal.ufl.edu/ans3384/Quali ... traits.htm

txag":3i6kwyor said:
galloway fan":3i6kwyor said:

try this link:

http://www.animal.ufl.edu/ans3384/Quali ... traits.htm

Thanks, that was a really interesting paper

Latest posts