College

Help Support CattleToday:

Ellie May

Reaction score
Howdy ya'll,
I'm graduating High School this spring and then starting college. I'm thinking about being a vet. I know it's ove r 8 yrs. of schooling and I've heard that it's tough competion in becoming a vet. b/c alot more people are doing that profession. If I didn't become a vet. I'd still like to work with horses, cattle, and other animals. Any advice, help, suggestions, etc...
Thank you,
Candice Schmidt

Do what will make you money, you will learn to like it.

Then you will have the money to do what you like.
All you need to do is look around at the people that have these horses & cattle. Where did they aquire the money to have them? And the land that supports them?

Ellie May, ive been wondering where youd runned off to.

You are right though, vet school competition is hard but there are less large animal vet students that may be an advantage for you. Vet Technician is another option, it would be less money but you wouldnt have as much responsibility to deal with.

Explore your options. take electives in areas you like and see what they have to offer. dont just say i want to be a vet and thats all there is to it. be open minded about other possibilities too, you never know. vet school is hard work.

you can do it though. whatever it is.

utk has the only vet school in the state. It is VERY competitive to get in. An d most other states won't take TN vet students b/c there is a vet school in state

Hi Ellie May
Nice to hear from you again.
If you are interested in (maybe) being a vet you can start college and decide from there. Both of my kids have changed their thoughts on what they really want to do on many occasions. Start with your basic classes and some of your possible interests and you will get an idea of what direction you want to go in.
My daughter went into Animal Science with Equine emphasis. She loves it and has a lot of options on the direction she can go from there. She graduates this spring from college and has had a lot of offers for jobs in a field that she has dreamed about since she was a little girl.
Follow your dream...
I wish you the best!

Become a doctor instead of a vet. Same amount of school, comparative difficulty, comparative costs, alot more money. My oldest brother is a doctor and my sisters husband is a doctor, both are doing more than ok.
My wifes sister and her husband are vets. Run the largest clinic within 30 miles and have a definite stronghold on their local market. They had to get out of the large animal sector because it didnt make sense economically speaking. Now, after books like "A day no pigs would die" motivated their desire to become vets they are simply nursing cats and dogs all day long.
The both of them are happy, but they admit that if they had to do it over they would of become doctors instead.

8 years from now you will be 8 years older, with or without the degree. If you get the degree, you are much better off.

Welcome back Ellie Mae. We have missed you and now we know you are all grown up. You will make a great vet if you still have the love of animals as you had in your previous posting life.

Good luck.

Hey, I'm going to vet school too. I'm starting up her at MSU in the fall. If where you go into is like MSU's program. With your undergrad studies, you get a BS in animal science, so if you dont want the extra 4 years, you ahve other options.

One of the best vet schools in the country right down the road from me at U. of Illinois. MSU, where Red007 is going, falls into that category also. Just remember, whatever you decide, out of state tuition is usually quite a bit higher at public universities. Good luck to both of you.

KANSAS":62nds7xq said:
Become a doctor instead of a vet. Same amount of school, comparative difficulty, comparative costs, alot more money. My oldest brother is a doctor and my sisters husband is a doctor, both are doing more than ok.
My wifes sister and her husband are vets. Run the largest clinic within 30 miles and have a definite stronghold on their local market. They had to get out of the large animal sector because it didnt make sense economically speaking. Now, after books like "A day no pigs would die" motivated their desire to become vets they are simply nursing cats and dogs all day long.
The both of them are happy, but they admit that if they had to do it over they would of become doctors instead.
Good point Kansas. I have known several DVM's that will admit if they had it all to do over they would go into human medicine. Probably a whole lot more that want admit it.
I have never heard an MD say they wished they had gone into vet medicine.

Having said that, I think there are a few people that are really cut out to be veterinarians. There are a few of these that are really cut out to be large animal practitioners.

Ellie Mae focus on doing a bang up job with whatever you do.

Our vet came out to preg check some cows a few years back. As he went to work he said something about "It's not quite 7:00 am, I got my coffee cup in my left hand and my right arm buried to my armpit up a cow's hind end. At $2.50 a head, my student loans will be paid off by about 3050! But I like it and I wouldn't want to do anything else." He's an excellent large animal vet. He does cats and dogs, but he doesn't like to. Go for it and good luck!

Having had the opportunity to embark on a few different careers the only advise that I can offer is to find something that you find rewarding and enjoyable and can make a decent living at.
College is what this part of your life is for...make the most of it and enjoy the experience, set your goals and keep them in sight.
DMc

Factors to consider when selecting a career:
1) Consider your interests
2) Consider working conditions
3) Be realistic-Know what your abilities and weaknesses are
4) Consider education requirements
5) Consider salary
6) What do you hope to achieve in your lifetime? Can this chosen career help you to accomplish your dreams?

I wish you success in your endeavor.
BTW, Auburn University is always looking for quality young people. "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger!"

Hi Ellie May :)

I am a first year vet student, and it is a lot of work, but I wouldn't have it any other way!!! There is a lot of competition, but if your grades are there, and you have awesome people skills and community involvement, you should be able to do it:)

I actually got really lucky and managed to get into vet school after only two years (I did the first two years of a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture/Animal Science) so it will be 6 years for me (provided I don't flunk out ;) )

Do what you want to do, but like everyone else said, consider your options, and know your strengths and weaknesses. I for one would have been royally screwed if I hadn't gotten into vet school, I never really had anything else I wanted to do. Vet school is competitive, but there has to be so many people a year that get in ;)

TCFC

[/quote]

my oldest daughter amanda is in vet school in OSU (Ohio) wv doest have a vet school so she had to go out of state. they excepted 3 ppl from out of state. after she sign up for osu she got a call to go to the camen islands full ride. snow belt/ tropics ??? well shes an buckyeye instead of a parrot head.. LOL the cost is crazy,,, but some states have a loan pay plan for vets in small country towns ohio is one that will help eat the cost of student loans.. wv isnt as of yet but i read where there trying to pass it.. we need large animal vets.. good luck to you ellie mae you go gurl!!!! an education is worth its wt in gold.. congrats on your up coming graduation :clap: Rose

Howdy,
Thanks ya'll. I'm glad. Just your opinions and such help a great deal. I might not get to come on here much but when I do it's nice talking to ya'll. I also heard about UTK being the only vet. school in the state, but I heard it's a good one. I've been working on my ACT scores but they just aren't as high as I'd like them to be. Does anybody know about scholorships? I (think) I heard a segment on RFD T.V. about horse scholorships, does anybody know anything about them?
Thank you,
Candice Schmidt

Latest posts