College Station TX

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2qyph0d3 said:
Caustic Burno":2qyph0d3 said:
Chippie is right about the property being bought up as investment. Friend of mine bought a house for his daughter while in college.
After she got out he remodeled and now lease's it to 4 college students. He got to making so much off it he bought a couple more and did the same thing.

Had a friend who bought a little lot and put a simply mobile home on it about 10-12 years ago for his daughter. Rented other bedrooms to a couple of other girls. His second daughter will graduate in May/June and he plans to just keep renting the thing. Has made a killing off of it.

The guy who owns Cherie's town house bought it to send his girls through school. She has purchase option after one year.When she first interviewed then elected to accept the job, part of my plan was to buy/build a home on a smaller isolated, maybe 40 acres in a rural community then possibly try put together 3 or 4 income properties in CS to replace the cattle for my lunch $$$$$. If we don't find some cheaper options the dollars are not going to reach. I have never had close neighbors, not going to start now.

AudieWyoming":2sypjjm4 said:
"This." Driving around the back roads just to get a feel for the area, most has been very disappointing to me but, west of the Braso river (Burleson County) there is a narrow strip of good bottom land farms. No more than maybe 2 or 3 miles wide, with nice, well maintained farm steads, although most appear to be TA&M. Up off the river behind that appears to be more of the better ranches, maybe oil has kept them in stronger hands as they seem to have kept the pastures clean and in larger blocks.
I know exactly which area you are tallking about if you went out hiway 21. It's private property for the most part. Don't know what's on it now, but early summer it will be in corn or soybeans. Maybe some sorghum mixed in parts of it.
When you get over west of the Brazos toward Caldwell, Snook, and Cooks Point, you are in a German/Bohemian, Polish area from the old days. Those farms and ranches don't break up much, never did, even less after the oil boom there in the early 80s. Watch that Brazos River bottom--it can flood under the right conditions. Probably not in recent years but I've seen Brazos and Little Brazos as one wide muddy river.
Land sure has gone up since I lived in Deanville for sure.
http://www.landwatch.com/Texas_land_for ... ms-Ranches

greybeard":3h6btd89 said:
I know exactly which area you are tallking about if you went out hiway 21. It's private property for the most part. Don't know what's on it now, but early summer it will be in corn or soybeans. Maybe some sorghum mixed in parts of it.
When you get over west of the Brazos toward Caldwell, Snook, and Cooks Point, you are in a German/Bohemian, Polish area from the old days. Those farms and ranches don't break up much, never did, even less after the oil boom there in the early 80s. Watch that Brazos River bottom--it can flood under the right conditions. Probably not in recent years but I've seen Brazos and Little Brazos as one wide muddy river.
Land sure has gone up since I lived in Deanville for sure.
http://www.landwatch.com/Texas_land_for ... ms-Ranches

Far out! That helps explain why that area felt more like home to me. I grew up in Weld County, Colorado, those farm families are predominantly German and Germans from Russia. Kathryn The Great invited there ancestors into Russia to settle and develop irrigation along the Volga river. Sometime around 1900 something forced them to immigrate en-mass to America. (I think the Bolshevik Revolution but I am not certain.) They came to eastern Colorado to work the beet fields. As an ethnic group they are hard workers and show great pride in the appearance of their fields and farmsteads.

Thank you so much for the great link. When I sold the Wyoming ranch in '09 I used that site when we were looking at places in the Piney Hills area east of Dallas, two computers later, I had lost it an forgotten the name of it.