College Opinions?

Help Support CattleToday:

blackcowz

Reaction score
Since this is sorta the main board, I thought I'd throw this out there. Before I look at all the prices and gag, which college do you think would offer me the best start for my learning goal? I am most interested in Beef nutrition and genetics. I am also very interested in Beef reproduction. I have even considered becoming a specialized bovine vet. :? Of course, I need a basic degree in general Ag first and foremost. I have considered a couple junior colleges because they offer a very good deal on the first two years of Ag ed. I have Laramie (Wyoming) and Northeastern Junior (Colorado) in mind. Does anyone prefer one over the other? Any other 2 years in mind? And for a "4 year" college, I have CSU, UNL, and KSU in mind. Which do all y'all like? I also heard about South Dakota state? Any input on that college? Ultimately, my parents and close mentors will help make the final decision, but I'd like some input from several different points of view.
Thanks. :cboy:

You have mentioned all the right schools as far as what you want to study. I would recommend NJC especially for an instate student and tuition costs. Doesn't hurt that I am an alumni either. While I am also very partial to CSU, the last time that I really paid any attention to schools with an outstanding nutrition program and it pains me somewhat to admit it but UNL is the place to be. I hear very good things about K State and OSU isn't a bad palce to be either. Not as up to date about SDSU but I hear good things and I will ask a buddy of mine who married an SDSU alum.

I like TAMU.
Really doesn't make a lot of diference as long as it is a good Ag. school.
You will still only get out what you put in. Where you graduate from is only good for name dropping.

If you want to work your way through with little cash output, College of the Ozarks has a good rep. They have a beef herd. Michigan State and Missouri also have ag programs.

greenwillowhereford II":i7r0k0v3 said:
If you want to work your way through with little cash output, College of the Ozarks has a good rep. They have a beef herd. Michigan State and Missouri also have ag programs.

Good Vet school too!!!!

blackcowz":2125gpkr said:
Since this is sorta the main board, I thought I'd throw this out there. Before I look at all the prices and gag, which college do you think would offer me the best start for my learning goal? I am most interested in Beef nutrition and genetics. I am also very interested in Beef reproduction. I have even considered becoming a specialized bovine vet. :? Of course, I need a basic degree in general Ag first and foremost. I have considered a couple junior colleges because they offer a very good deal on the first two years of Ag ed. I have Laramie (Wyoming) and Northeastern Junior (Colorado) in mind. Does anyone prefer one over the other? Any other 2 years in mind? And for a "4 year" college, I have CSU, UNL, and KSU in mind. Which do all y'all like? I also heard about South Dakota state? Any input on that college? Ultimately, my parents and close mentors will help make the final decision, but I'd like some input from several different points of view.

Make sure you keep looking into these options, absolutely nothing wrong with getting two years under your belt at a 2 year school. A lot, lot less expensive than the 4 year. Check out how well their credits transfer to the 4 year schools though.

blackcowz":gzrg43gk said:

If you go to a junior college get the AA degree and then go to the University of your choice. That way the credits transfer.
This question begs another. Why would anyone living in Colorado think they need to go out of state and pay that tuition when CSU is right up the road and nationally recognized for it's AG programs.
Besides you can go home on weekends help your Dad and get your laundry done at the same time. Don't ask me how I know that. Let's just say I have a big investment in two recently issued degrees from CSU

MistyMorning":q9hzt2q0 said:
blackcowz":q9hzt2q0 said:

Make sure you keep looking into these options, absolutely nothing wrong with getting two years under your belt at a 2 year school. A lot, lot less expensive than the 4 year. Check out how well their credits transfer to the 4 year schools though.

MM makes an excellent point here!! You get to save a lot of money by getting those basics out of the way AND you will then find it easier to transfer to the likes of TX A&M whose new enrollment numbers are extremely limited. TAMU is one of the best but you will pay a premium for going out of state so check your home state first for the very best ag college and see if it will meet your goals.

3waycross":2oddn0zo said:
Why would anyone living in Colorado think they need to go out of state and pay that tuition when CSU is right up the road and nationally recognized for it's AG programs.

It's cheaper to go out of state than pay CSU's tuition - very significantly cheaper. A large portion of UW's (Laramie WY) student body comes from Colorado because of that.

Misty made a good point about making sure the credits transfer. IMO it'd be better to just pick a 4-year college and stick with it. Then you know every class you take will be accepted by the university.

I'm not sure how UW's beef nutrition program ranks, but I do know they have a beef center just outside town, and if you're interested in food science they have a huge meat lab and kill plant. I also know they've got a good pre-vet program in the Animal Science department if you're serious about going that route. I don't know enough about the other colleges you've mentioned to comment, but best of luck in whatever you decide. :)

While I was in school it seemed like Texas A&M and Colorado State were always on the cutting edge. I graduated in 1999 so many things could have changed. As stated before make sure you don't loose credits transfering.

blackcowz":10bh4f2f said:

As UW Alumni, Let'r Buck 1998--- UW is a good school, but has no vet school and they send you to CSU down in Ft Collins. There are several different ways to get to vet school:
1. Go get a General Ag degree and incorporate the classes you need for vet school like physics, Chem 1&2, Organic Chem 1 and 2, and Gen Bio 1& 2 plus Biochemistry into your curriculum. Dont forget about math too, like algebra 1 & 2, trig, and calculus 1 & 2. Genetics at UW was a real treat too, by the way.

Usually smaller colleges and universities have much easier classes than a big school like UW or TAMU. Also remember that there are many people interested in Vet education and you will have to maintain a minimum of 3.50 GPA even to be considered. Also remember that many vet schools require the GRE with a score of 1000 or better. The only University that doesnt require the GRE is KSU in Manhattan.

2. Go to a big school like TAMU and go ahead and get this vet school business out of your system as that school sees 200 wanna be pre-vet students walk through their doors per semester.
You first semester at TAMU will look like this:
Pre-vet med
English (3 hrs)
Algebra or trig or Cal 1 (3-4 hrs)
Gen Bio I with Lab (4 hrs)
Gen Chem I with Lab (4 hrs)
i core required course (3 hrs)
17 semester hours just to keep up with your peers and that means you wont see your first party or any other extracurricular activity until your Junior Year.
3. Or you could just do a Vet Tech program anywhere in the US.

But really, if you dont have the highschool background where you took a lot of AP Science and Math you can forget TAMU especially if you are out of State as they just dont have room for ya. Plus if your SAT's are below 1200 you can forget about TAMU

OkSU is a good school their requirements are less than TAMU(Premier Vet School)

KSU I feel like it is easier to get into than any other school

CSU in Ft Collins --- tough Curriculum they will rip you a new one, plus you will need to buy some Birkenstocks and start wearing some Jasmine cologne and grow your hair out a lil longer and chances are your first date in Ft Collins hasnt shaved her pits in 3 yrs.

Auburn is good

University of GA isd by far the cheapest of any school in the Nation, Excellent deal and great education, but here again if you dont have a 1200 SAT and especially if you are out of state you can forget that too.

Cornell University is really good the only Ivy League Ag school in the Nation-- Great school if you have some $$$$

Purdue-- great school

Michigan State Univ another great Program

VT in Blacksburg VA is also a very good program

NC State is also a good program

Penn State is a great program

The reason I have this information is when I was considering Vet school I looked into all these schools and after getting accepted to TAMU -- I ultimately decided upon a PhD program instead, because I really didnt want to work 70 hours a week in the mud and the blood fixing other peoples messes, but to each their own. I had a Masters Degree when I applied to TAMU and a GPA of 3.97 and a GRE of 1300, so that is the kind of people you would be competing with and even with my GPA and GRE I was considered an average applicant

Good Luck

T
A lil fear of Vet School is a good thing-- that way they keep the dreamers out and the doers in.

blackcowz":3aymjjpa said:

Having gone to A&M for 8 years, half of it on the "vet school" waiting list and backing up farther and farther every year, I can tell you it's easier to get into medical school than into their vet school. If you're not totally sold out to being a vet I'd still look into some of the other programs especially animal nutrition. I have a couple of friends who opted for the LSU vet school and are doing quite well specializing primarily in small animals.

Being partial to TAMU I will say that their vet school is one of the best in the country if not the world. There are students from around the globe attending there. They also have a very very strong reproduction department, having cloned last I knew 7 different species including, bovine, cat, dog, horse, pig, deer, and goat or sheep..... I believe the last one is right. Reproduction classes for undergrads are amazing. The hands on experience is top notch. Biomedical science students take those courses to learn reproduction and get experience in the lab with fetuses, embryos and reproductive tracts. The course work can be extremely tough but if you enjoy it you won't have any trouble. I was not an animal science major but took both undergrad repro classes as electives and made A's easily because it was interesting to me.

Good luck no matter which school you choose.

I thank you all so very much for the input! Well, I said I wanted opinions before I checked out tuition. I am very interested at getting a good education for the least amount of $ possible. I have heard CSU charges a hefty tuition, but I may be able to accumulate some scholarships that would help offset costs. I think that a two year school, bearing credit transfers in mind, is a good route to go. Keep on posting. I am learning a lot and also am considering some new options and ideas I hadn't.

Latest posts