college football

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime":2kipn468 said:
VanC":2kipn468 said:
ga. prime":2kipn468 said:
Yeah, those are some tough guys out there at the neverland ranch. Could'a had any team they wanted to play So-Cal in the Rose Bowl. Chose Illinois.

First of all, they couldn't have had any team they wanted. A team has to be BCS eligible and not contractually tied to another bowl. Second, they wanted a Big Ten team and Illinois was the only one eligible besides Ohio State.
Good point! And Illinois(not a BCS top ten team) was picked because Missouri, which was a BCS(all BCS teams are supposed to play in BCS bowls) team would have been the third team(along with Oklahoma and Kansas) from their conference to be in a BCS bowl and that is outlawed by the BCS people because of I don't know why.

In order for a team to be eligible for a BCS bowl they have to have at least 9 wins and finish in the top 14 in the final BCS standings. Since there are five BCS games, not all eligible teams will get to play in a BCS bowl.

Your right about Missouri. No conference can send more than two teams to a BCS bowl. Since Oklahoma was an automatic qualifier, that means Missouri or Kansas would get left out. Same with the SEC this year, who also had three eligible teams. Since LSU was automatic, that means either Georgia or Florida would be out.

It's all pretty confusing. Just when I think I've got it figured out, something else pops up. ;-) Here's the best explanation I've found so far:

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&c ... le_id=7915

Limomike":3c7lnz52 said:
And.. the BSC didnt want the matchup in the Orange Bowl of #3 vs #4.. (Oklahoma vs Virginia Tech). Because if LSU wins, and Oklahoma or Vtech wins.. that would create even more controversy over a national champ.
NCAA / BCS stinks... money grabber bowls rule.

The Big 12 champion (Oklahoma) is under contractual obligation to host the Fiesta Bowl. The ACC champion (Va Tech) is under the same obligation to host the Orange Bowl, unless one or both ends up in the championship game. Therefore a #3 vs #4 matchup wasn't possible this year.

But you're right about the whole thing stinking to high heaven. Just about every year someone gets left out who can lay claim to deserving to play for the national championship. Remember the year Auburn went 13-0 and didn't get a shot? Or the year USC lost early and then ran the table? Heck, by the end of the season most everybody knew they were the best team in the country, but they didn't get a shot because of that one loss.

I agree with those who are calling for some kind of playoff. Eight teams sounds about right. But it ain't gonna happen soon. Too many people are raking in too much money to change anything right now.

MikeC":2g11x4ks said:
Rangenerd":2g11x4ks said:
Because the southern teams are to chicken---- to play against teams that might actually beat them. If you think that I am wrong look at OOC games for the SEC next year then compare it to say the PAC 10.

BS. Look at this "Strength of Schedule Rankings" for 2007 and tell me how many Pac 10 teams are in it, and how many SEC teams are in it:

1 Mississippi 4.92007 2 South Carolina 5.06995 3 Oklahoma State 5.07576 4 Texas A&M 5.11753 5 Alabama 5.12509 6 Kentucky 5.14357 7 Nebraska 5.14757 8 Washington 5.15153 9 N.C. State 5.19085 10 Minnesota 5.21267 11 Pittsburgh 5.21360 12 Florida 5.21842 13 Auburn 5.23991 14 Arizona 5.26673 15 Iowa State 5.27928 16 Missouri 5.28459 17 Virginia Tech 5.28680 18 Duke 5.29067 19 Louisville 5.30215 20 Vanderbilt 5.31120 21 Georgia 5.31574 22 Maryland 5.31653 23 Syracuse 5.32569 24 Notre Dame 5.32834 25 South Florida 5.32877

Answer:

8 -SEC
2 -Pac 10

:roll: :lol: :p :roll: :lol:

well put mikec

strength of schedule doesnt mean crap.... Only way to do it is playoff. Until that is done, all the talk in the world or polls, mean nothing. Just a bunch of people/coaches, or computers voting who they "think" is #1.

Pac 10??? Tops?? Hardly. I'm and old Texas Aggie but still think the SEC is toughest and best football in the country. Loved it when Florida put an ass kicking on OSU last year and expect LSU to do the same this year.

Sure hated it too when Univ. of Texas kicked poor ol' USC in '05.

Would love to see a playoff tho. Really enjoyed the small college playoffs this year...Mount Union, Mary Hardin Baylor, Delaware, and many others. They played some excellent football.

Rangenerd":3kr9pe5l said:
Because the southern teams are to chicken---- to play against teams that might actually beat them. If you think that I am wrong look at OOC games for the SEC next year then compare it to say the PAC 10.
Y'all play football in California?

Latest posts