college football

Help Support CattleToday:

Steubenville, OH class lV Ohio State champion 15-0
Class V champ Wheelersburg. 15-0.
Class VI Marion. 15-0.

Son of Butch":27sdluvu said:
6 states is not a majority in the USA and neither is 2 teams in each state.
Most all High Schools play fewer games than college teams which average 12.2 games.

I did not check all states, but the games played by state champions ranged from 10-14 with 13 average
Soldonota, Alaska state champion and rated #60 in the Nation 10-0
Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas state champion 13-1 and rated #50 in the Nation
ranked # 933 in Nation - Smyrna, Delaware played 12 games finishing 12-0 as state champion
#123 Crystal Lake, Illinois 14-0

Eden Prairie Mn state champion 13-0 rated #72 in Nation.
Desoto, Texas 2016 1st state championship 12 games 10-2 and this year ranked 44th in Texas and 293 in nation.

Did you play D-1 football Butch? I did and would have eaten broken glass for a chance to win a title on the field and not be robbed by the polls.

Son of Butch":2vnba196 said:
Most all High Schools play fewer games than college teams which average 12.2 games.

I did not check all states, but the games played by state champions ranged from 10-14 with 13 average
Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas state champion 13-1 and rated #50 in the Nation
ranked # 933 in Nation - Smyrna, Delaware played 12 games finishing 12-0 as state champion

Desoto, Texas 2016 1st state championship 12 games 10-2 and this year ranked 44th in Texas and 293 in nation.

2017 results; MaxPreps is your friend here.
The following lists just a brief example of how many games those schools playing for state championships will play.

IN class 1-5 14 games
OH class 1-6 15 games with class 2 playing 16 games
NM class 3-6 13 games
PA class 1-6 14 to 16 games
AL class 1-6 15 games, class 7 14 games
TN Div 1 class 1-6 14-16 games
NV Bishop Gorman played 15 games; 13-2, Natl rank 10
IL class 1-8 14-15 games
OK class 2-6A l & ll. 13-15 games.

Not to mention numbers from high school football powerhouse states like FL, TX, CA, GA, MS, MI, NY.

Better check your :bs: meter Butch. :D

bball":169qfguc said:
Son of Butch":169qfguc said:

The following lists just a brief example of how many games those schools playing for state championships will play.

IN class 1-5 14 games
NM class 3-6 13 games
IL class 1-8 14-15 games

Not to mention numbers from high school football powerhouse states like FL, TX, CA, GA, MS, MI, NY.

Are you saying something is wrong with Butch's ciphering?? No way. He's a ciphering fool. The man's mind is nothing but numbers, fractions, percentages, probabilities and yes..... :bs:

What does it prove to have power house schools scheduling 3-4 games per season vs weak sisters not rated in the top 100?

Eliminate 2 of those games per season and expand national tournament to 16 teams.
Without the risk of increasing injury due to fatigue of extra long seasons.
Would also reduce risk of long term injuries to mismatched student athletes at smaller schools being fed to the wolves
just to increase revenue to pay for their women's bad-mitten team or whatever.

p.s. regarding injuries

Ryan Shazier mlb for Steelers injured his spine making a tackle in Monday night game and was transported to Cincinnati
Medical Center. He is reported to have some movement in his lower extremities and his doctors are expecting a lot of progress to continue to be made within the next 48 hours without any surgery.

A problem with eliminating those David vs. Goliath games is that the smaller programs need the income from those games to keep their athletic departments afloat. The 8 team tournament would be ideal, but personally I like all the debate that goes into selecting teams for the 4 team tourney.

ChrisB":2hl5jmm8 said:
A problem with eliminating those David vs. Goliath games is that the smaller programs need the income from those games to keep their athletic departments afloat. The 8 team tournament would be ideal, but personally I like all the debate that goes into selecting teams for the 4 team tourney.

Is it so bad if some of those smaller schools lose their football team or their baseball team? I'd rather watch Alabama vs. Auburn all day long than Alabama vs. Mercer. What does it prove? We all know that Mercer sucks compared to Alabama. It's kind of like the big jock picking on the music kids, what good can come of it?

TexasBred":1irht5ga said:
bball":1irht5ga said:
Son of Butch":1irht5ga said:

IN class 1-5 14 games
NM class 3-6 13 games
IL class 1-8 14-15 games

Are you saying something is wrong with Butch's ciphering?? No way. He's a ciphering fool. The man's mind is nothing but numbers, fractions, percentages, probabilities and yes..... :bs:

No TB. I would never dream of questioning his ciphering prowess. The gentleman is a human abacus.
A. I should have known better than to even respond to him ;-)
B. I should have placed the words 'playing for chamionships' in bold.
As that was the statement that originally tripped the 'Butch BS o meter'.

I accept full responsibility on this one.

Side note: as much of my sense of humor does not translate across the web, I wish to clarify this was all in jest and not meant to disparage anyone.

Bestoutwest":3baoqj7n said:
ChrisB":3baoqj7n said:

Is it so bad if some of those smaller schools lose their football team or their baseball team? I'd rather watch Alabama vs. Auburn all day long than Alabama vs. Mercer. What does it prove? We all know that Mercer sucks compared to Alabama. It's kind of like the big jock picking on the music kids, what good can come of it?
A lot of kids get a education that they wouldn't or couldn't, because they can play football and baseball.

Bestoutwest":3rtxwgrz said:
ChrisB":3rtxwgrz said:

Mercer walked away with about a $2 million dollar paycheck plus 'bama picked up the tab for ALL their expenses which probably doubled their entire athletic budget.

True Grit Farms":258w49ok said:
Bestoutwest":258w49ok said:
ChrisB":258w49ok said:

A lot of kids get a education that they wouldn't or couldn't, because they can play football and baseball.

I agree to some degree, but watching the "student" athletes at my university doodle in class and not do any of the homework, I wonder how they passed without protection from the administration. And what are we doing for them? What's funny is that many one here will rail against participation trophies, but what most athletes get when they go to college is a participation degree. They are no better off than they were before and the university has made millions off of them.

Bestoutwest":3pthu6gi said:
True Grit Farms":3pthu6gi said:
Bestoutwest":3pthu6gi said:

I agree to some degree, but watching the "student" athletes at my university doodle in class and not do any of the homework, I wonder how they passed without protection from the administration. And what are we doing for them? What's funny is that many one here will rail against participation trophies, but what most athletes get when they go to college is a participation degree. They are no better off than they were before and the university has made millions off of them.
I agree to some degree also, but the kids are off the street and have a opportunity to succeed. What they do with their opportunity is on them. If just a couple are successful it really helps everyone in the community.

True Grit Farms":30udw70w said:
Bestoutwest":30udw70w said:
True Grit Farms":30udw70w said:

I agree to some degree also, but the kids are off the street and have a opportunity to succeed. What they do with their opportunity is on them. If just a couple are successful it really helps everyone in the community.

This is very true. The literal ball is on their court.

I don't think all these guys are just big dumb muscle heads with no desire to learn anything outside of athletics. It is more a question of time. How do they have the time to succeed with the pressure of preparing for such a strenuous schedule with nationally televised games and everything that surrounds that attention?

I have no doubt that some guys are just motivated and are able to pull it off. There are guys in the NFL that seem to have succeeded all around, John Elway comes to mind. But there are also NFL players that make me wonder if they ever sat through a lecture during their 4 or 5 years. You hear all the times of players who have been suspended because of their grades (or lack thereof).

As anyone in that attended college knows, a lot of it is time management. College players don't sit around on their ass and play video games or watch TV when they don't have anything to do, as they always have something to do. if it's not classes or homework, it's football. probably some socializing, but mostly during the off season. I'm pretty sure the coaches help to 'motivate' their athletes with team rules as well.
The atheletes are doing a lot for the school, so the school in turn will do a lot for them.

greybeard":3g6dl2i7 said:
they always have something to do
Like stealing crab legs and jumping up on tables screaming vulgarities?
:hide:
GB you can always find the exception to any rule. I'm talking about playing college football 4 years, getting a bachelors in only 3 and got half of your masters completed before you finish your football career and plan to go to med school to be a pediatrician.......oh and if it matters he's black.

Latest posts