college football

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm not in favor of expanding the college play offs.
Watching Ohio State's QB continue to play last night on injured knee 6 days after surgery reinforced my opinion.
Expanding play off money by adding even more games is not in the best interest of student athletes.

Son of Butch":1i1p0law said:
I'm not in favor of expanding the college play offs.
Watching Ohio State's QB continue to play last night on injured knee 6 days after surgery reinforced my opinion.
Expanding play off money by adding even more games is not in the best interest of student athletes.

Division 2 and 3 schools have been doing it for years......and BTW bama is in so I hear. ;-)

wacocowboy":3svrxfb5 said:
I don't know who the 4th team will be but I think Georgia scares me the most and looks like we get them in round 1.
Georgia just lined up and played old school hard nose football and beat them in ever part of the game. Would not want to bet against them.

Why shouldn't bama be in, didn't play this weekend, lost to auburn, who lost again this weekend, week schedule, Bama should be in every year no matter what, just ask ole Nick.

Ohio States 31 point drubbing in Iowa really, really hurt them..especially when Iowa is a 7-5 team.
I have been and remain in favor of an 8 team playoff. Its the best football of the season. Most high school kids playing for championships have to play 14 or 15 game season. This is a no brainer.

Just my :2cents: but championship weekend the top 4 teams play, end result no matter what there is going to be a team that isn't in the top 4 that wins, being a badgers fan and losing to Ohio State by 7 I can deal with it, the 4 spot should go to either Ohio State or Georgia, not a team that lost that weekend or a team that didn't even play.

I remember 2014 when Baylor was denied a berth in the final 4..according to Long, because there was no Big 12 championship game and therefor neither Baylor nor TCU made the final cut?
So much for being a conference champion carrying any weight...

The playoff needs to move to 8. The champions of the SEC,ACC,BIG 10,BIG12,and PAC 12 get automatic berths. The highest ranked non power conference team gets a berth. The remaining two slots would go to the highest ranked team outside of the aforementioned teams above. So the teams this year would be:
Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Ohio State
USC
UCF
Alabama
Wisconsin

Post Oak":175voibs said:
The playoff needs to move to 8. The champions of the SEC,ACC,BIG 10,BIG12,and PAC 12 get automatic berths. The highest ranked non power conference team gets a berth. The remaining two slots would go to the highest ranked team outside of the aforementioned teams above. So the teams this year would be:
Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Ohio State
USC
UCF
Alabama
Wisconsin
While I like the idea of an 8 team expansion, I don't agree that there should be automatic bids. That would handicap any independent team and any team that happens to build up their program from a lessor conference (I'm thinking UCF b/c they're unbeaten at this point).

TennesseeTuxedo":37exe4b5 said:
First round could be a home game.

That would probably bring a lot of support b/c those programs would make bank on a deal like that.

bball":c9e0v96b said:
Most high school kids playing for championships have to play 14 or 15 game season.
:bs:
No high school or college team in Minnesota played 14 games let alone 15.

Until 2014 College Football teams played 12 game seasons and some went on to play 1 bowl game 12 + 1 = 13
High Schools in Mn play 8 game seasons and done... with top tier playing into tournament to average 9.5 games.

Minnesota High School Champion Eden Prairie 13-0 for the year.
32 teams qualify for tournament and they averaged 11 games played only the 2 that reach the finals played 13 games
The Gophers played 12 games.

Big 10 teams play 9 conference games and 3 non conference SEC teams play 8 and 4 non conference

To expand to 8 or 16 game tournament... then all teams should agree to reduce regular season to 10 games
by dropping 2 non conference games vs weak sisters. In reality those games are just bye weeks.
What does it prove when Clemson schedules Kent State or Alabama plays Mercer?

Son of Butch":1koo1nje said:
bball":1koo1nje said:
Most high school kids playing for championships have to play 14 or 15 game season.
:bs:
No high school or college team in Minnesota played 14 games let alone 15.

Until 2014 College Football teams played 12 game seasons and some went on to play 1 bowl game 12 + 1 = 13
High Schools in Mn play 8 game seasons and done... with top tier playing into tournament to average 9.5 games.

Minnesota High School Champion Eden Prairie 13-0 for the year.
32 teams qualify for tournament and they averaged 11 games played only the 2 that reach the finals played 13 games
The Gophers played 12 games.

Butch, call :bs: all you like, in Indiana, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and Michigan (just to name a few) kids playing for state championships in those states are playing their 14th or 15th game of the season. This isn't new either. In 1987 and 1989, I played 14 game seasons while playing in the state finals.

6 states is not a majority in the USA and neither is 2 teams in each state.
Most all High Schools play fewer games than college teams which average 12.2 games.

I did not check all states, but the games played by state champions ranged from 10-14 with 13 average
Soldonota, Alaska state champion and rated #60 in the Nation 10-0
Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas state champion 13-1 and rated #50 in the Nation
ranked # 933 in Nation - Smyrna, Delaware played 12 games finishing 12-0 as state champion
#123 Crystal Lake, Illinois 14-0

Eden Prairie Mn state champion 13-0 rated #72 in Nation.
Desoto, Texas 2016 1st state championship 12 games 10-2 and this year ranked 44th in Texas and 293 in nation.

Son of Butch":6u7ab6bl said:
6 states is not a majority in the USA and neither is 2 teams in each state.
Most all High Schools play fewer games than college teams which average 12.2 games.

Many of the major football states, and Indiana isn't even one, play 14 games. I didnt look up every single one. States like Florida and Ohio have kids playing 15 games. Most states have multiple classes, so it's not just 2 teams, Indiana has 6 classes, other states have even more. Finally, I didn't say most high schools. I said most playing for state championships/ finals (for a reason, as these teams typically have a higher percentage of athletes moving on to play college football).
I didn't even mention the preseason jamborees that virtually all high schools participate in before the season officially begins.. 4 random quarters against fellow conference competitors is essentially another game in the season that doesnt get counted. :tiphat:

Latest posts