College football excesses?

Help Support CattleToday:

It is the way it is... college football that is. It's a huge money making business, and face it, with the way teams are throwing it around these days, Its no wonder teams can put up "half a hundred" in a half.
Oklahoma Sooners just became the first football team in history to score 60+ points in 5 games!! I find that simply amazing. But do they just throw it?.. No, they also have TWO 1,000 yard rushers on their team! The game has changed, but so does everything else if you live long enough.

Limomike":20lttdba said:
It is the way it is... college football that is. It's a huge money making business, and face it, with the way teams are throwing it around these days, Its no wonder teams can put up "half a hundred" in a half.
Oklahoma Sooners just became the first football team in history to score 60+ points in 5 games!! I find that simply amazing. But do they just throw it?.. No, they also have TWO 1,000 yard rushers on their team! The game has changed, but so does everything else if you live long enough.

Good points, Mike. As for OU, I've simply been in awe of them the past few weeks. Not only did they put up 60+ the past 5 games, they put up 50+ in 4 other games. The least points they scored was 35, which used to be considered a lot, and if you look at their schedule, most of those games were against some pretty good teams. Wow!

Looked like another article written by someone who doesnt have a clue about the game. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger than they were back in the day, and they will continue to be so. I was flipping through espn the other day and they were showing USC vs UClA from like '76 and it was amazing how much smaller and slower the players were. They also were both one dimentional run then run some more, the spread offense is a beautiful thing. If you lined up a team from back in the day against an OU or Texas from now...you couldnt call it a football game, it would be a slaughter.

and Texas beat that same OU team by 10...they should of been playing in the Big 12 game. Ya they lost to tech on the last play of the game away, but that same tech team that beat them, and then lost to OU also almost got beat by Baylor. Big 12 had a terrible tie breaking system in place, in any other conference with a championship game, the head to head game is what chooses who goes. Ya they are both great teams, but they were also both one loss teams, tie breaker should of been who beat who, I hope the Big 12 changes their policy. They are both awesome teams but I still think in my opinion Texas should of gone.

No one is denying that Texas is a good team.. And, everyone knew the rules BEFORE the season began, and no one complained.. including Mack Brown! I think the whole nation sees what kind of football OU is playing right now. I doubt Texas could even stop them. Plus, OU has beaten 5 ranked teams. No other team in the nation has done that!

GRTiger85":p9eft52b said:
and Texas beat that same OU team by 10...they should of been playing in the Big 12 game. Ya they lost to tech on the last play of the game away, but that same tech team that beat them, and then lost to OU also almost got beat by Baylor. Big 12 had a terrible tie breaking system in place, in any other conference with a championship game, the head to head game is what chooses who goes. Ya they are both great teams, but they were also both one loss teams, tie breaker should of been who beat who, I hope the Big 12 changes their policy. They are both awesome teams but I still think in my opinion Texas should of gone.

I wish the two could have played 9 more games. Oklahoma would have won all 9. As for the tiebreaker system, everyone agreed to it before the season started. Next excuse you'll have will be that most of OU's players are from Texas. :lol: :lol: :lol: Smart guys. :clap: :clap:

Some teams do not play their best until the end of the season. OU and Florida are a perfect examples. They playing their best right now.

GRTiger85":1fg62un5 said:
Looked like another article written by someone who doesnt have a clue about the game. Players are bigger, faster, and stronger than they were back in the day, and they will continue to be so. I was flipping through espn the other day and they were showing USC vs UClA from like '76 and it was amazing how much smaller and slower the players were. They also were both one dimentional run then run some more, the spread offense is a beautiful thing. If you lined up a team from back in the day against an OU or Texas from now...you couldnt call it a football game, it would be a slaughter.

I think you might find the outcome of the game a little closer than you think if the rules that were played by in 76 were used...U were not allowed to block using ur hands in 76, the crap they do now is a joke when it comes to the true art of blocking.... Also helment to helment contact, horse collering, head slap....Yes the players are bigger and faster, and their is a lot more of em to choose from, but if the linemen were not allowed to hold but really block u would see that weight go down a lot.. Players like T.Owens and Randy Moss would get their head handed to em... Most of are scared to go over the middle as it is now.....Also eqiupment weighs about a third of what it did back then.... So if you lined up ur best 22 against my best 22 and played by the same rules as were used back then it might be A LITTLE CLOSER THAN YOU THINK....Remember I said 22 that means one or two of your players will be handling the kicking chores

TexasBred":nl37bi3o said:
GRTiger85":nl37bi3o said:

I wish the two could have played 9 more games. Oklahoma would have won all 9. As for the tiebreaker system, everyone agreed to it before the season started. Next excuse you'll have will be that most of OU's players are from Texas. :lol: :lol: :lol: Smart guys. :clap: :clap:

Does anyone really believe that UT couldnt have beat the Aggies by at least 70 points or more... I am not a big Mack Brown fan, I dindt agree with the way he treated Major Applewhite. At least he showed class and sportmanship by putting McCoy on the sidelines in the 4th quarter...... The Aggies can be thankful they werent playin against Stoops or Leech on that day. Those classless clowns never call off the dogs

UT probably could have scored a little more against the Aggies. Everyone else did. :lol: :lol: But....Texas Tech ran up the score all they could. Even challenged a play near the goal line with very little time left hoping for another quick six. Texas scored all they could against TT....OU doubled it and hardly broke a sweat. I think the best two teams in the nation are playing for the championship.

I do wish the powers that be would find a way to give Boise State a better shake every year. I love to watch them kick the big boys butt year in and year out.

I don't mind stepping out and predicting that Fla will oblitrerate Ok. What a wuss team is Ok. Look at the past two or three bowl season results. Ok should be in the scotch tape bowl. Fla is fortunate to be playing the sooners rather than the Longhorns.

ga. prime":2vauwi9t said:
I don't mind stepping out and predicting that Fla will oblitrerate Ok. What a wuss team is Ok. Look at the past two or three bowl season results. Ok should be in the scotch tape bowl. Fla is fortunate to be playing the sooners rather than the Longhorns.
And if OU should be playing in the scotch tape bowl, I guess Florida should be playing in the Charmin paper bowl.
:lol2: :lol: :lol2: :lol: :lol2: .. Wuss team? Go tell that to the eleven teams they beat this year. (including Cincinnatti, TCU, Kansas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Okie State, Missouri) Past bowl seasons dont mean jack when you are talking about this year. They are loaded with weapons this year, and when Stoops gets fired up from all the criticism he has had over the past years, look out! He will have those Sooners very motivated to play Florida trust me.

I've always liked the Gators and really like Tim Tebow but just gotta take the Sooners on this one. Only team I know that can have a bad day, play a top ten team and still score 60 points.

Latest posts