College Football almost sure to go to 12 team playoff 2023 or later

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
"The College Football Playoff committee is recommending expansionion of the playoff according to Sport's Illustrated.
The potential expanded field would feature the six highest-ranked conference champions as well as six at-large bids, per Dellenger and Forde. The four highest-ranked conference champions would receive a first-round bye, leaving the remaining eight teams to play in the opening round.
(Gawd forbid one of the top ranked prima donna teams get smitten down by a Group of 5 team the very first weekend)

There has been considerable discussion over the last two years, though reaching an agreement among an 11-person committee has proven difficult. The CFP board of managers is comprised of 11 presidents and chancellors from the 10 FBS conferences, as well as Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick.
A 12-team field could help quell complaints from Group of 5 schools such as UCF, who have thus far been left out of the playoff each year since 2015. An eight-team field has also been discussed, though such a proposal would limit the at-large bids
available if non-Power 5 schools automatically qualified for the playoff."
A four-member committee tasked with exploring expansion will present its findings to the CFP committee in July. As of Thursday afternoon, there is no target date for beginning the expanded playoff.

"The College Football Playoff committee is recommending expansionion of the playoff according to Sport's Illustrated.
The potential expanded field would feature the six highest-ranked conference champions as well as six at-large bids, per Dellenger and Forde. The four highest-ranked conference champions would receive a first-round bye, leaving the remaining eight teams to play in the opening round.
(Gawd forbid one of the top ranked prima donna teams get smitten down by a Group of 5 team the very first weekend)

There has been considerable discussion over the last two years, though reaching an agreement among an 11-person committee has proven difficult. The CFP board of managers is comprised of 11 presidents and chancellors from the 10 FBS conferences, as well as Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick.
A 12-team field could help quell complaints from Group of 5 schools such as UCF, who have thus far been left out of the playoff each year since 2015. An eight-team field has also been discussed, though such a proposal would limit the at-large bids
available if non-Power 5 schools automatically qualified for the playoff."
A four-member committee tasked with exploring expansion will present its findings to the CFP committee in July. As of Thursday afternoon, there is no target date for beginning the expanded playoff.
Being a former H.S. coach, we can only hope that this works. I have always been for the underdog, am a K-State fan and also Notre Dame!!! Let some little guys have a chance!!

That will add at least 4 games to an already grueling season. With 8 you only add three which is one more than now.
Only for the 12 playoff teams, and not all 12 will play 4 extra games. They can always opt out if the going is too tough for them.

I was tempted to make a point here but the blind would not see and the deaf would not hear the coming of the desolation
about to knock on our door. Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you will remember the sound of happy feet and weep..

I was tempted to make a point here but the blind would not see and the deaf would not hear the coming of the desolation
about to knock on our door. Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you will remember the sound of happy feet and weep..
This little ray of sunshine brought to you by your local Rotary Club and Chamber of Commerce.

I'm not really in favor of expanding it to 12 or even 8 teams. I thought it was fine with 4 teams, but much of the rest of the nation thinks otherwise.
SoB had an interesting thought a couple years back. Eliminate the 2-3 regular season games the bigger colleges schedule against cream puff opponents.

The Big12 may be about to (finally) live up to it's name and actually have 12 schools.
Conference head Bob Bowlsby is visiting Univ of Houston, BYU, UCF and Cincinnati. Exactly when they will get official invites and whether each accepts the invite is not known.

Ohio State didn't look worthy of their #4 ranking last night
They beat the MN Gophers 45-31

BUT the Gophers led 14-10 at the half and the Gophers lost their star running back Mo Ibrhim late in the 3rd quarter, he left the game wearing a walking boot.
He had 163 yds and 2 tds and when he left, it was game over for Mn.
Both team's offensive lines played well.

I don't know much about football, but it's hard for me to imagine an 18 year old kid being ready to handle the pressure of leading a team like the Buckeyes. That's a huge amount of pressure for a kid that's never even been exposed to that sort of environment. But what do I know.
I thought their defense looked worse than offense. Perhaps the Gophers were a bit under rated going into the game, but defense just looked sloppy.
Edit: just read that 7 of the 11 on defense were first time starters. I suppose that explains some of the sloppiness.

Last edited:
Typical Gophers
Favored by 31 pts over 1-2 Bowling Green and they lose 14-10
130 teams in FBS and Bowling Green was 0-10 vs them, so now 1-10
One of the youngest teams in the nation with a roster of 71 class of 2020 or 2021 high school graduates. At least beating a Big 10 team has made their college careers memorable.

Gophers scheduled them as their Homecoming creampuff and got humiliated.
Coach P.J. Fleck's Gophers are 0-17 when trailing at half and couldn't overcome a
7-3 halftime deficit against Bowling Green.
Afterwards Fleck said, "Nobody played well"... duh... or COACHED WELL... sigh :(

Bowling Green better buckle their chin straps, they play Kent State next, lol
But sure to be a tougher foe than the Gophers. :(

Last edited:
Typical Gophers
One of the youngest teams in the nation with a roster of 71 class of 2020 or 2021 high school graduates. At least beating a Big 10 team has made their college careers memorable.

Coach P.J. Fleck's Gophers are 0-17 when trailing at half and couldn't overcome a
Afterwards Fleck said, "Nobody played well"... duh... or COACHED WELL... sigh :(

Maybe we need to schedule a game to see who wins the battle of the basement, MN or TN.

There were several surprises yesterday but #16 Arkansas wasn't one of them. Smacked #7Tx A&M around pretty good and SMU beat TCU as well. Baylor will be ranked this week, after beating #14 Iowa St.
#4 Oklahoma slipped by unranked W. Va. Sooners better pick it up a notch. Next 4 weeks they face 3-1 KanSt, 3-1 Texas, 2-1 TCU and 4-0 Baylor.

Typical Gophers

I think it's safe to say the axe game isn't going to be the battle for the Big 10 West this year.

Latest posts