College debt..... really really smart people..

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms":2422lsxo said:
When I went to college (I only went two years) I went drove back and forth and still worked a full time job. My parents paid for my books, which I bought used. I paid for gas, food, vehicle, and insurance. Lived at home.

Nothing wrong with Princeton or Yale. But people need to learn to live within their means. If you or your parents can afford it, go wherever you want. If you can't afford it get a job and go to a local community college. They're everywhere. Get your feet under you. Learn to do without. It will make you appreciate what you have later in life.

A lot of people are just stupid. I don't know another way to put it. They jump before they look to see if there's any water in the pool.

This!!!
I have one college graduate, debt free. 3 more in college currently, all 3 debt free thus far. 3 of the 4 attend IUPUI (considered a commuter college), the fourth also attends a commuter college up north. All 4 work jobs, worked their tails off for scholarships, and 2 are part time military Natl Guard and Reserve. They were all taught early and often, "if you go to college, your goal is to graduate with a useful degree and no loan debt." It's a real trap that many are not prepared for. Almost makes the credit card companies look honest.

One of my daughter's was offered full rides to 2 separate ivy league schools for track. She declined because she didn't want to move out of state and be so far away. That was a hard one to accept :???: so much opportunity. Her school is closer to home now, but she is also working at an Olive Garden 3 nocs a week too.

I have one in college now and two who are finished.

Ever wonder why college costs are so expensive?

I'll probably catch grief for this but I recently received a phone call from a university asking for a donation to help the students out. I could tell the caller was a young college student trying to make a few bucks so I was gentle with him even though he called during supper. I asked him how much the football coach made. He said didn't know. I informed him that his salary was $7 million a year which equated to the tuition cost of 2% of all the students in the university for the salary of ONE person. I explained to him that I didn't think the university needed my money but needed to learn how to spend the money they had wisely.

Yes, I know to some this will be considered sacrilege.

Jogeephus":3njy8lyj said:

I'll probably catch grief for this but I recently received a phone call from a university asking for a donation to help the students out. I could tell the caller was a young college student trying to make a few bucks so I was gentle with him even though he called during supper. I asked him how much the football coach made. He said didn't know. I informed him that his salary was $7 million a year which equated to the tuition cost of 2% of all the students in the university for the salary of ONE person. I explained to him that I didn't think the university needed my money but needed to learn how to spend the money they had wisely.

Most coaches are paid strictly from donations to the Athletic Dept. The large schools do not use any public funds to pay for the Athletics Departments.

In Tennessee, any Tennessee high school graduate can get two years of Community College or Technical School for free (paid by the State). After that, there is the Tennessee Promise Scholarship that pays a portion of the remaining two years of tution as long as the student maintains a B average. All of this is paid for by lottery money.

sstterry":1yzvcovx said:
Jogeephus":1yzvcovx said:

Most coaches are paid strictly from donations to the Athletic Dept. The large schools do not use any public funds to pay for the Athletics Departments.

In Tennessee, any Tennessee high school graduate can get two years of Community College or Technical School for free (paid by the State). After that, there is the Tennessee Promise Scholarship that pays a portion of the remaining two years of tution as long as the student maintains a B average. All of this is paid for by lottery money.

Contract is made with the university. Whether the money comes out of the left pocket or the right pocket makes no difference to me and with in state football coach's salaries increasing 67% since 2016 makes me think our priorities are wrong when it comes to education.

Jogeephus":1uyt8g7a said:
sstterry":1uyt8g7a said:
Jogeephus":1uyt8g7a said:

Contract is made with the university. Whether the money comes out of the left pocket or the right pocket makes no difference to me and with in state football coach's salaries increasing 67% since 2016 makes me think our priorities are wrong when it comes to education.
I agree that the priorities are wrong.

Our kids could lived at home for free while at college (not much interest in this), and use a family car if they did not have one (not much interest in this either) but they paid their own way. Anyone who was short $$$ could come and see Dad for paying project(s). We did chores, plus we averaged 32 acres cleared, renovated, and MIG fenced per bachelor's degree. :cowboy: Would have done better but this is some really rocky stuff the pioneers avoided.

Middle child is very social and ended up with a lot of debt. It was easier to stay on campus than to work with Dad. He married a hard core Excel budgeter who has him on a really really tight leash. :lol: The other two graduated early with very little debt, and then married into college debt... Do opposites attract?

I went back to school 6 years ago.. cost me 15k for a 2 year degree that I completed in a year and a half. All while working full time. I refuse to send my kids to school for a degree that will land them a job making 30k a year. We need welders fitters operators etc. Plenty of money to be made.

Jogeephus":1irsz0h3 said:

Dang, Jo, you just unleashed a painful flashback! Back when Wichita State still had football the fraternities & sororities had to make those calls. And yes, in the evening. And no, we didn't make squat. But it was our "duty". I'm still scarred - not everyone was a gentle as you. And clearly we did a poor job . . . buybye, football at WSU.

I don't believe in big universities with great athletic programs. The world only needs so many business and kinesiology majors. There are a ton of jobs that require a college education DUE TO THE TRAINING you must receive. However, there is no need for a lot of majors and academia can at times be bloated.

Full disclosure: my father was a college professor, my wife works for a large state university, I have two college degrees (not bragging) with one being from a large state university and one being from a community college, and I grew up around colleges. I have been around the block and seen many things. The system is massively broken.

Jogeephus":1fsxutz5 said:

yeah but they make a ton of money off of their sports programs

Bestoutwest":nh2oa6pg said:
I don't believe in big universities with great athletic programs. The world only needs so many business and kinesiology majors. There are a ton of jobs that require a college education DUE TO THE TRAINING you must receive. However, there is no need for a lot of majors and academia can at times be bloated.

Kinesiology majors was one of the biggest frauds in college. I wonder if athletic programs still get away with that?

The problem with college debt has little to do with scholarship programs, it has more to do with kids graduating with no job placement, plenty of good jobs available through tech schools and availability to pay loans off, but that might have to do with getting your hands dirty, what kids today want to do that?

If you want your kid to go to college to be a doctor, just look up were the us relates in producing doctors, wonder why that is, we all know, but that is a different subject.

haase":1l1ht5m7 said:
The problem with college debt has little to do with scholarship programs, it has more to do with kids graduating with no job placement, plenty of good jobs available through tech schools and availability to pay loans off, but that might have to do with getting your hands dirty, what kids today want to do that?
The Tech schools teach very little "hands dirty" jobs anymore. They are teaching math and how to run a computer operated welder or another assembly machine. I was recently in a plant that makes lawnmower transmissions. That place could have been mistaken for a hospital with everyone in white coats running their computerized equipment.

sstterry":2iqm1xpm said:
haase":2iqm1xpm said:
The Tech schools teach very little "hands dirty" jobs anymore. They are teaching math and how to run a computer operated welder or another assembly machine. I was recently in a plant that makes lawnmower transmissions. That place could have been mistaken for a hospital with everyone in white coats running their computerized equipment.
wrong

ddd75":1eyk44tw said:
sstterry":1eyk44tw said:
haase":1eyk44tw said:
wrong

Very wrong , I know several kids that have went to tech school over the last several years. They come home most days looking like they have been working in the coal mine ,

When I went to college I worked a full time job all summer. Two jobs if I could find two that would work out. And I lived at home and saved every single penny I earned for the next years college. During the school year I worked a part time job to help make ends meet. I don't see people saving their money with any focus. I see people running up college debt supporting their living costs and they live pretty darn well.

When I broke my back and went back to school after 20+ years in the work force I found school to be a cake walk. I got straight A's for the first time in my life. But school was nothing compared to the effort I had to put in to the former job. And again I focused on the school work. I didn't go hang out at the student union building. Between classes I went to a quiet corner of the library and studied. I watched the majority of kids go to class and then hang around drinking over price coffee with their friends while waiting for their next class.

haase":3jbxgiz8 said:
If you want your kid to go to college to be a doctor, just look up were the us relates in producing doctors, wonder why that is, we all know, but that is a different subject.

Part of the problem is that we have reports stating that MD's are saying they wouldn't do it again if they had a choice. This negative reporting is going to have an effect on the amount of students entering programs. Also, the programs need to be expanded to allow more students in, we have a lot of medical programs (including nursing, x-ray, etc) that are at maximum capacity. I don't think the US has a corner on the market of stupid and lazy people. However, we sure like to think we do.

Bright Raven":3jbxgiz8 said:
Kinesiology majors was one of the biggest frauds in college. I wonder if athletic programs still get away with that?

Don't forget all the English majors learning to write the next Great American Novel. Stephen King (who is the #2 author of all time to God and the Bible, seriously, only Bibles have sold more copies than Stephen King) was a high school English teacher who wrote a novel in his spare time. Most communications, journalism and music majors are there to make connections. The schools are just collecting money, which is crap.

Latest posts