• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Collecting urine sample

Alan

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
9,514
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Oregon
What is an easy way to collect a urine sample? Is there a trick or do I just put them in the chute and wait....

Thanks,
Alan
 

Lammie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,287
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
Geez, I don't know. I do know that I would not like to be on the receiving end holding a recepticle of any sort.
 

redfornow

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
0
cow or bull?

If its a cow...
They pretty much try to piss all over me soon as I put em in the headgate. :clap:
So that would be easy....
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,437
Reaction score
5
Location
Heart of Texas
jkwilson":5t8togdz said:
I have a hard time NOT collecting urine samples when I get them in a pen.

There you go....just stand behind them...after they pee, pull your shirt off, squeeze the pee into a jar and head to the vet with it. He might even be able to tell you if YOU have anything wrong. :lol:
 

Alan

Well-known member
Joined
May 9, 2004
Messages
9,514
Reaction score
0
Location
NW Oregon
So by the chuckles it sounds like no one has ever collect urine from a cow??? I know they test urine in about every other mamimal I can think of. I have gotten worse things on me from animals.... try a vomiting goat. :D

Alan
 

mobgrazer

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
367
Reaction score
0
Location
VA
I like to see my mineral guy come out and do stool samples. He is used to working with dairy cows that are not shy and will drop it on your foot if it is in the way.

I have never tried to get urine samples off of cows but have had plenty of voluntary ones in my boots when I’m working them.
 

redfornow

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
0
Alan":2a8za1y4 said:
So by the chuckles it sounds like no one has ever collect urine from a cow??? I know they test urine in about every other mamimal I can think of. I have gotten worse things on me from animals.... try a vomiting goat. :D

Alan


Sorry Alan! :cowboy:

Nope I have never had to collect urine. I have collected it as mentioned earlier in my shoe, on my shirt and one sad time in my hat.... :clap: But never on purpose....

What are you hoping to find?
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,437
Reaction score
5
Location
Heart of Texas
mobgrazer":298erf3i said:
I like to see my mineral guy come out and do stool samples. He is used to working with dairy cows that are not shy and will drop it on your foot if it is in the way.

I have never tried to get urine samples off of cows but have had plenty of voluntary ones in my boots when I’m working them.

Nothing like that "warm fuzzy feeling" in your boot. :cowboy:
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,437
Reaction score
5
Location
Heart of Texas
LoveMoo11":uzyxn861 said:
Wait until right after they eat or drink.

Or pick out a very gentle one laying down. Try to get her up....they'll either pee or take a dump just about every time they stand up.
 

HerefordSire

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
5,212
Reaction score
0
Location
Arkansas
Alan":2m2n02y7 said:
What is an easy way to collect a urine sample? Is there a trick or do I just put them in the chute and wait....

Thanks,
Alan

Here @ work they give us a jar and tell us to go inside the restroom since there is no chute or straight jackets here. Did you just hire some employees? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
 

ffamom

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 5, 2005
Messages
622
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
At the major shows, they have a hoop with a specimen bag attached for the heifers. They stimulate the zone between the vulva and urethra. In the steers, I have no idea. I bet if you post this in the show board, more people would see it that have had their animals tested. Good Luck.
 

regolith

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
2,794
Reaction score
0
Location
New Zealand
either a) no one wants to be first to admit the sun is warm
or b) all you cattle guys and no-one's ever made a cow pee before???

Start a couple of inches below the vulva and stroke up. Doesn't take much stroking.

Don't contaminate the sample with faecal matter.

And remember this next time you've got a new-calved cow who won't let her milk down. Works for that too :lol:

Just don't ask me what you have to do to a bull...
 

greatgerts

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 16, 2004
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
0
Location
De Soto MO
regolith":3f946wqm said:
either a) no one wants to be first to admit the sun is warm
or b) all you cattle guys and no-one's ever made a cow pee before???

Start a couple of inches below the vulva and stroke up. Doesn't take much stroking.

Don't contaminate the sample with faecal matter.

And remember this next time you've got a new-calved cow who won't let her milk down. Works for that too :lol:

Just don't ask me what you have to do to a bull...

It wasn't for a urine sample, but this made me think of an instance about 10 years ago. There was a bull at our state fair that if you pet him in the right spot, he would ejaculate. We ended up buying him because we knew that if it were that easy to get him aroused, surely he could breed all of our cows. When they did the semen test on him, the breeder just started scratching him and told the vet there was no need for all of his equipment. I'm sure you can rub/scratch a certain spot on a bull to make him pee.
 

Lammie

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
7,287
Reaction score
0
Location
TX
greatgerts":1evj3e3u said:
regolith":1evj3e3u said:
either a) no one wants to be first to admit the sun is warm
or b) all you cattle guys and no-one's ever made a cow pee before???

Start a couple of inches below the vulva and stroke up. Doesn't take much stroking.

Don't contaminate the sample with faecal matter.

And remember this next time you've got a new-calved cow who won't let her milk down. Works for that too :lol:

Just don't ask me what you have to do to a bull...

It wasn't for a urine sample, but this made me think of an instance about 10 years ago. There was a bull at our state fair that if you pet him in the right spot, he would ejaculate. We ended up buying him because we knew that if it were that easy to get him aroused, surely he could breed all of our cows. When they did the semen test on him, the breeder just started scratching him and told the vet there was no need for all of his equipment. I'm sure you can rub/scratch a certain spot on a bull to make him pee.

When I was a kid, my friend Janice had a bull calf that would do that, too. It was pretty funny the first time it happened!!! We didn't pet him a lot after that.
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
spend all day cleaning you'r stock trailor....then load em in it ..you should have your sample's in seconds
 

mobgrazer

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
367
Reaction score
0
Location
VA
I have a problem with stroking my cows vulva. :roll:

I have never tried it but for some reason it just seams wrong. I’m thinking you could get jail time for it in some states. :nod:
 

alacattleman

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
4,141
Reaction score
0
Location
heart of dixie
mobgrazer":pmln3hih said:
I have a problem with stroking my cows vulva. :roll:

I have never tried it but for some reason it just seams wrong. I’m thinking you could get jail time for it in some states. :nod:
not in tennessee....its called foreplay :lol2:
 

Latest posts

Top