colic in infants

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Anyone have a good home remedy for a baby (human baby) with colic. My 7 week old son has it something fierce. Bad gas pains and a bowel movement every 24 to 36 hours. We spoke to the pediatrician and she said everything is normal, he is just fine and that there is not much to do about it until he grows out of it. Just curious if any of you Mothers or Fathers out there had a "Sure Thing" cure I could try.

Thanks in advance,

Kansas

We found some store bought gas relief drops for children. It was a life saver.

I have seen those, but the pediatrician said he is still too young for that type of medication..

Oh my goodness, I can relate with you. When my daughter was going through the same thing, we went to Wal-Mart and bought, equate-gas drops. They worked wonders. I didn't think at first it would work, but it did for us.

KANSAS":1c7p255m said:
Anyone have a good home remedy for a baby (human baby) with colic. My 7 week old son has it something fierce.

Many folks around here make a tea out of catmint. Not catnip, but catmint. They have done it for generations and say it works well.

Good luck, its no fun for you, and certainly no fun for baby.

Katherine

Oh, I remember those days.....

My grandmother handed this down....I boiled 2 or 3 bay leaves in water for about 30 minutes, let cool, poured into bottle and gave to my daugther. I put a little sugar in the bottle because I thought the taste would be horrible. It always helped my daughter.

Here's another, when the time gets comes. When you baby starts teething, give your baby beef jerky to "gum" on. I would give my daugther a large piece of Robertson's beef jerky. I never had a sleepless night, nor do I remember her crying after giving her jerky during teething. She loved beef jerky then and she still does.

Good luck....

I got one for teething. I froze half of a banana on popsicle sticks and frozen flavored yogurts and puddings in cupcake liners with an infant spoon in them, so they could hold on to them. It worked wonders, and it was something very healthy to give the baby.

We always used a herbal tea, usually with a spoon of honey which is an old traditional remedy in South Africa, the tea is called Rooibos and has been stocked in Walmart and some health shops, we get ours from the local South African shop on - line, with our boys having problems as infants due to their CP, we had to find effective cures without side effects.

If the baby is on formula keep changing formulas till you find one that she agrees with. We didn't do that with first kiddo so I was a walking zombie for months. The second kiddo we switched formulas I think 3 or 4 times until we found one that agreed with her and she was such an easy baby to take care of.

Walt

KANSAS":1ug7vglj said:
Anyone have a good home remedy for a baby (human baby) with colic. My 7 week old son has it something fierce. Bad gas pains and a bowel movement every 24 to 36 hours. We spoke to the pediatrician and she said everything is normal, he is just fine and that there is not much to do about it until he grows out of it. Just curious if any of you Mothers or Fathers out there had a "Sure Thing" cure I could try.

Thanks in advance,

Kansas

A couple of drops of Peppermint oil will sooth colic.

andybob":3iirmhq2 said:
...usually with a spoon of honey...

Honey is not a good idea for a child under apprx 2 years of age because it can cause botulism due to their under developed immune system.

I put a drop of peppermint in the milk bottle to prevent it. Never had a problem, or was it just luck. It was given to me as an old time remedy for colic.

I agree with Walt. Our last one we changed formulsa several times until we got it right. Finally got rid of the colic and then had problems with spitting up, so we changed a few more times until we got it right. But the store bought drops did work well and I remember using when they were just a few weeks old.

Read a bottle of honey, it says specifically not to give to infants.

The Rooibos worked well for us, as we produced our own honey from the aloes, there was no reference to infant feeding on our bottles, if indeed there were any warnings in the 70's, sorry about the poor advise.

andybob":3umy6h2r said:
The Rooibos worked well for us, as we produced our own honey from the aloes, there was no reference to infant feeding on our bottles, if indeed there were any warnings in the 70's, sorry about the poor advise.

In the 70s, there wasn't any kind of oversight and "research" like what there is now! Heaven knows what I did to my beautiful daughter that would be considered BAD...and harmful...

When colic is involved (and thank GAWD I didn't have to deal with that), a parent is apt to try anything...

Doctors need to be a bit more sympathetic to parents that have a colicky baby. Used to be there was a prescription med that parents could get for it. I knew a woman who's daddy was a doctor...who, after her pediatrican refused to give her the prescription, told her daddy that she was going to leave her son with him if he didn't prescribe her the med. He called in the prescription stat. Sometimes I think too much FDA and research isn't always the best medicine.

OK, I'm ducking!

Alice

Peppermint Oil?
Is this culinary or medicinal? Pharmacy has no clue what it is and I can only find peppermint extract at the grocery store. Anyone know where I can get it?

KANSAS":1p1glded said:
Peppermint Oil?
Is this culinary or medicinal? Pharmacy has no clue what it is and I can only find peppermint extract at the grocery store. Anyone know where I can get it?

Try the health food store.

Alice

andybob":3s7oht7j said:

I wonder how many millions of babies was brought up very healthily with your method? I know I was one of them.

My 3 granddaughter started using the gas drops at 3 months. Don;t know how old your baby is. I couldn't find peppermint oil here when i needed it 10 years ago for one of mine. Grandma said just put a peppermint candy in a bottle of warm water, shake to help it disolve and give it to baby. Can't hurt and it sure helped.

KNERSIE":2tp68f94 said:
andybob":2tp68f94 said:

I wonder how many millions of babies was brought up very healthily with your method? I know I was one of them.

Ditto to that!