Cole's up and walking

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
My ginormous, hairy weenie dog, Coletrain, was hit by a car two weeks ago Friday. He had broken a rear leg, according to x-ray. This may sound cruel, but I really didn't have over 2 grand to get him operated on, and I don't know if that works out all the time anyway. So the vet gave us some pain pills and stool softeners and I put in on a pallet on the back porch. He could poop and pee, so that was a good sign.

Anyway, it's been two weeks, and he's trying to walk. He walks like Fred Sanford for short distances. I have to keep an eye on him because when his butt gives out on him, he's liable to be in a fire and mound or in the pasture in the sun, but it is a hopeful sign.

I once had a dog recover from having her hip broken in 6 places and she did it in about a month. Same method, although she was a smaller dog and I kept her in an old cooler with no lid so she would not drag herself around the house.

Anyway, it has been tricky, and I hope he's learned a lesson - although I doubt it. Once dogs chase cars, I think they cant stop and it leads to their end eventually. But I think it may have slowed him down.

the progress sounds good... our dog used to chase cars as a pup, but i guess she grew out of it because she hasn't done it for nearly a year.

cattleluvr18":32yxvu15 said:
thats good he's up and walking. my doggie got ran over yesterday and he didnt even live long enough to get put on a pallet. :cry:

I hate it when that happens! I have lost two dogs that way.

He has good and bad days. Yesterday he was walking everywhere, so I imagine today he'll need an anti-inflamatory to get around. He gets all stoved up. I wonder how he'll be this winter? Maybe I had better get some of that joint health dog food for him.

cattleluvr18":3p5ctgku said:
i dont want to sound liek the cruel one here Lammie, but why dont you just put the poor guy down??

I just couldn't do it. I made a deal with my son that we would try to get him better, but if he were in great pain that we could not manage, or if he could not pee or poop, that we could put him down. Really, he did fine. I think that dogs have amazing powers to heal themselves. Plus, he acted like he wanted to get well. He didn't have the look.

Lammie":3ig29u2n said:
cattleluvr18":3ig29u2n said:
i dont want to sound liek the cruel one here Lammie, but why dont you just put the poor guy down??

I just couldn't do it. I made a deal with my son that we would try to get him better, but if he were in great pain that we could not manage, or if he could not pee or poop, that we could put him down. Really, he did fine. I think that dogs have amazing powers to heal themselves. Plus, he acted like he wanted to get well. He didn't have the look.
thats awsome Lammie! I prey for his continuous improvement!

Latest posts