Coldest at dawn?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Here's an excerpt from "The Weather Notebook" that will explain what happens. J

Between sunset and sunrise, the Earth's surface gathers no solar energy but continues to radiate away its stored heat. During the night, the surface also loses radiant heat faster than it steals heat from other sources, and thus its temperature, and that of the air in contact with it, drops steadily.

At dawn, when the first light beams across the landscape, the incoming solar radiation is very weak. It does not yet have enough strength to counter all the heat escaping from the surface. As a result, the surface continues to lose heat for some time following sunrise, and the air temperature continues to fall.

At some point, the solar rays shine strongly enough to counter the heat loss. The gain-loss balance is shifted, and the air finally begins to warm up. As a rule of thumb: the coldest temperature is about an hour after sunrise.

Thanks
I was still wondering what caused it.

I had "googled" it quite abit and hadn't found a satisifactory answer.
Was about to decide it was my imagination.

Thanks Dun,

I too have often wondered why it always got colder an hour or so after sunrise. I have spent many a morning in the treestand a hour before daylight and very comfortable, only to start to freeze my buns off an hour or so after daylight. I can sleep tonight knowing that another mistery of life has been solved.

Thanks again

VanC":1a6jso1g said:
Since we're clearing up weather questions, does anybody know why it's almost always windier during the day than at night?

The government is in session in DC during the day!

dun":23zo2skp said:
VanC":23zo2skp said:
Since we're clearing up weather questions, does anybody know why it's almost always windier during the day than at night?

The government is in session in DC during the day!

good one

VanC":2kb1ggrr said:

When the sun heats air, it rises, causing a wind to blow in to takes it's place.

Hippy, you are tellin it true. When I was a young soldier we spent six months out in the Majovie desert doing military exercises and it gets damn cold on that desert at night.

Latest posts