Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Hearing some reports of water freezing at farms where the water lines hook to the meter. I am going to pull the cap on mine today and stuff some insulation down in the manhole if that is what it is called. They are about 12 inches in diameter but only about 24 inches deep. This cold is suppose to stay for another week at least.

It's no fun right now. Zero at daylight with a brisk wind. May last into next week. Good luck.

fitz

I'm tired/sick of it. It's making everything harder. It's even quit costly. I'm mowing through 25 or more rolls of hay a week, and I dread seeing my electric bill. I sold some calves yesterday. One got pulled from a graded pen for walking on his toes. I don't blame em, he was walking funny. He was fine, his feet were just sore from the frozen/uneven ground around my feeding area. About a $150 hit.

fitz":gy5sefil said:
It's no fun right now. Zero at daylight with a brisk wind. May last into next week. Good luck.

fitz
Same thing here Fitz... it does look like we are going to warm up a little for the weekend, but back to the nasty come Monday!

The guys are using chainsaws to cut the ice on the ponds at our place in northern Kentucky. I'm heading up in the morning to see what I can do to help. It was -9 this morning at the farm according to the weather app on my phone.

TennesseeTuxedo":5fspcjsy said:
The guys are using chainsaws to cut the ice on the ponds at our place in northern Kentucky. I'm heading up in the morning to see what I can do to help. It was -9 this morning at the farm according to the weather app on my phone.
We are busting the edges around all of our ponds with the loader twice a day... just to keep water available for them to drink. I have always said that I like cold weather... but I hate frozen weather!!

I picked up a tank heater at Tractor Supply that's doing a good job keeping the water from freezing on the tub we have it in near the house. Keeping the hoses thawed is a full time job there however. I think I'll pick up another heater today.

TT... like you, our hoses have been taking a beating lately. We are removing the hoses every night and keeping them in the shop so that we can use them again the next day. unfortunately, I have some water tanks where we have no electricity to plug in heaters... having to haul water from the creek everyday after we bust the ice out of the tanks... Come on Spring!!!

TN Cattle Man":3fwuuykx said:
TT... like you, our hoses have been taking a beating lately. We are removing the hoses every night and keeping them in the shop so that we can use them again the next day. unfortunately, I have some water tanks where we have no electricity to plug in heaters... having to haul water from the creek everyday after we bust the ice out of the tanks... Come on Spring!!!

Ugh, that's no fun.

TN Cattle Man":1of88lbz said:
Same here. I actually broke a hose yesterday tring to get it untangled and set up, it just snapped in half, reminded me of when my high school science class had a demonstration of what happens to a rubber hose after it was immersed in liquid nitrogen; it just shattered! One of the water spigots on the house actually froze, so now I am dragging hoses over 400 feet from a working one on the other side of the house to the barn.... Ugh!

Latest posts