Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Our cold is nothing like our Northern friends it is fixing to get bad cold here. Was B/P hunting on the lease yesterday found where the hogs had made a nest. Also put out hay this morning cows never came out of the woods.

-28 in my neck of the woods (thats -28 fahrenheit, standing temp). Just went to town and it had warmed up to -23. School delays all over northern Mn due to cold. :frowns: Tolerable as long as you are dressed for it and the wind stays put, but I'd sure rather be someplace else.

Yep.. your right CB. Fixin to get colder here.. I normally feed in the evening.. but my cows are already outside bawling at me... too bad, time to go scrounging around for leftovers. :nod:

angie":24m3zjrz said:
-28 in my neck of the woods (thats -28 fahrenheit, standing temp). Just went to town and it had warmed up to -23. School delays all over northern Mn due to cold. :frowns: Tolerable as long as you are dressed for it and the wind stays put, but I'd sure rather be someplace else.
Angie.. you need to go look at my post about the job in Australia..

your right cb those northern states are in a deepfreeze.goodthing our cold blasts break in a day or 3.

I'm surprised that we haven;t had anything get sick(knock on wood). 48 yesterday supposed be around 30 today high 40s tomorrow low twenties thursday.
It really sucks, but I only have to put hay out once a week for the weaned calves so I pick the least crappy days to do it.

angie":3be7hjt0 said:

Keep your heart tucked in. We can't have you getting any more cold hearted you know! :D

It is supposed to be 15 here on Friday. That'd be fine with me if we get some kind of precipitation through all this. The weatherman says none! That means hauling water to the cow calf pairs so the high needs to be better than 32. The cows probably won't be all that thirsty.

dun":3s12emq2 said:
I'm surprised that we haven;t had anything get sick(knock on wood). 48 yesterday supposed be around 30 today high 40s tomorrow low twenties thursday.
It really sucks, but I only have to put hay out once a week for the weaned calves so I pick the least crappy days to do it.

Yesterday before the storm hit it was really pleasant 35*. (we didn't have school b/c of the predicted weather) This morning it was -10* with another blast coming tonight. Just reiterates my signature line.

Yep we were 4 degrees warmer than Angie this morning. Wind and snow picking up again now. Can't wait till Monday they are predicting 20 something! :banana:

dun":2i7t6xn9 said:

Dun..... you mean you actually have some cows?????????

I'm setting out enough hay tomorrow to last till Monday or so. I can't stand much of this 16 degree weather predicted here.

All of you that are -40 or so and talk about it "warming up" to 0 or something like that... I don't see how you do it. My hat is off to you. :tiphat:

I had picked up the old muzzleloader to go this morning temp said 22, I decided I am not that mad at a deer at this time. I am thinking now of an afternoon hunt.

spose to be 5 degrees here friday morning.. flooded last week...freezin' this week..if i went into this winter with the amount of hay, i had last year. id be in BIG trouble....my ol 72 model iH, got charger, blankets, heater strapped on it.. it barely cranks in 40 degree nights

Well the kids haven't been in school much this week. No school Monday, 2 hr late start Tues. and no school again today. High for today is -4*. Tonight it's supposed to get -25* so we'll probably (better be) late again. Our school has switched to a 6 day schedule b/c of all the snow days, late starts that we have. Now we just start where we left off rather than miss whatever class it may be.

Got 4 inches of snow last night and temp was 25 when I got up this morning. No big deal. Now it's cleared out and temp down to 5 with wind chill -15. Supposed to be lows of -10 with wind chills at -30 and highs around zero the next couple of days, then warm up to around 30 on Sunday. Worked outside, at least part of the time, most of my life but not anymore. I'm glad.

angie":3m4lo84v said:
We were at -12 this morning and I didn't dare complain cuz I had seen how cold you folks have it over that way, actually there wasn't much wind so it wasn't too bad just pulled the turtleneck up over my face. I didn't do any outside work other than the necessary chores. We will have this for the rest of the week then it is supposed to break and get back above zero. Hopefully the wind will stay calm until the cold snap breaks. I do hate the squeaky snow tho.

Ontario, Minnesota and especially Manitoba are getting the sh#t kicked out of them with this cold weather. Winnipeg I heard was minus 51 last night.. What I hate more than cold is warm ,cold, warm ,cold, ...It was + 4 here yesterday and everything was melting but last night got down to -27 and a high of -15 today with 3 inches of snow. Slippery than you know what and the cattle do not know what the h@ll is going on ,,,me included.. :( I fed eight bales and had to come inside as my fingers were numb..they weren't numb in -40 a couple of weeks ago.. :?

I hate winter...