COLD!!

Help Support CattleToday:

okiek

Reaction score
This is my shout out to all of you who live in the "North!!" It's 5 degrees with a 21 mph north wind and blowing snow where I am in Oklahoma right now. They say it hasn't been like this since the 1940's here. I'm paying a hand to chop ice this week on my ponds at my south place that's far from my house. That adds to my worry of whether or not it's getting done. Just keeping hay out in this mess is a a chore!! Bring back my mild winters please!!! To all of you in MT, WY, Canada...You get the point...My hat is off to you!!! You are tougher than I am if you fight this on a regular basis!!!

This is my shout out to all of you who live in the "North!!" It's 5 degrees with a 21 mph north wind and blowing snow where I am in Oklahoma right now. They say it hasn't been like this since the 1940's here. I'm paying a hand to chop ice this week on my ponds at my south place that's far from my house. That adds to my worry of whether or not it's getting done. Just keeping hay out in this mess is a a chore!! Bring back my mild winters please!!! To all of you in MT, WY, Canada...You get the point...My hat is off to you!!! You are tougher than I am if you fight this on a regular basis!!!
I agree, but they'd probably say the same about us come summer if they had our heat and humidity.

I figure they can eat snow now.
If they get thirsty enough I've heard they figure it out. I just got in from busting ice in the heated stock tank and putting 2 5 gallon buckets in the pen for the youngins.
I've been swapping buckets twice a day for several days now.....
20210214_090012.jpg
20210214_085549.jpg

I figure they can eat snow now.
If they get thirsty enough I've heard they figure it out. I just got in from busting ice in the heated stock tank and putting 2 5 gallon buckets in the pen for the youngins.
I've been swapping buckets twice a day for several days now.....
View attachment 2274
View attachment 2275
Those Girls don't look like they have much to get behind to block the wind. Just a a few Moo'ers here and glad I didn't clear all the brush out from under the Live Oaks in back of place and they are under and in it for sure. Hope we don't lose any Large branches on top of them. Already lost a few big lbranches in front of place from the ice build up and they would have hurt you. Over on my 100 acre place I sold over La Grange Tx. way a couple years back, I had lean to's they could get under in the bad stuff and they did.

Those Girls don't look like they have much to get behind to block the wind. Just a a few Moo'ers here and glad I didn't clear all the brush out from under the Live Oaks in back of place and they are under and in it for sure. Hope we don't lose any Large branches on top of them. Already lost a few big lbranches in front of place from the ice build up and they would have hurt you. Over on my 100 acre place I sold over La Grange Tx. way a couple years back, I had lean to's they could get under in the bad stuff and they did.
O yeah. Idk what hell they are doing. They have a large 3 sided barn out of the weather. Sometimes cows make no sense to me...

I seen a couple tire troughs that had plywood over them with places cut out for the cows to drink. It definitely was easier to keep the water from freezing.

WOW Steve!! I forgot to add MN to all the places I don't envy!!! Ouch!! Sure hope your conditions improve!!

Just got back from 3 quality hours outside in -21 wind chills. All the bedding we put out yesterday is covered in snow so had to put out more. Maybe half the main herd is in the barn but they're all in the shelters at the other pastures. Tank heaters are working now but still have to fill the tanks with a hose. Big fun!

We're used to brutal weather, but only for a few days. NOT this! Wine, party of one!

I'm in West Central AR and we are about to get what OK got. I'm having calves about every day right now and it has me worried. Especially tomorrow night when it will be around 0. I've got a dog house, made a bed of hay and laid a blanket out on my back porch, but my Great Pyrenees refuses to use either.

As another central Texas single-digit novice-we've broken ice throughout the day, added warm water and cattle seemed to drink their fill. Threw extra hay and feed out near their shelter, now the bad 20 mph wind with below zero temps are hitting. Snow to be added overnight. For now, the cattle are spending their time under a shelter.
Do I leave them alone to ride out the worst part under shelter overnight or throw out more hay (which I would assume would mean higher water need also)? Snow should end tomorrow morning, and I plan to keep hay and water in front as much as possible for the next few days-it'll be 70 next Tuesday 🙄

Latest posts