cold, wet and ice

Help Support CattleToday:

D OSBURN

Reaction score
We are on day 12 of weaning. I had some questions there and so far that part is going well. Problem is we are having an ice storm here in Texas. The calves are fine, corral and barn but the moms are in the pasture with no shelter. Plenty of hay. They've been rather spoiled always having shelter in bad weather. I'm worried that since they are still somewhat stressed from weaning that being cold and wet could make them sick. This may seem silly to some but I'm almost ready to let them in the barn and have to start weaning all over again.Advice please.
Thanks, Donna

D OSBURN":483l2zy5 said:
We are on day 12 of weaning. I had some questions there and so far that part is going well. Problem is we are having an ice storm here in Texas. The calves are fine, corral and barn but the moms are in the pasture with no shelter. Plenty of hay. They've been rather spoiled always having shelter in bad weather. I'm worried that since they are still somewhat stressed from weaning that being cold and wet could make them sick. This may seem silly to some but I'm almost ready to let them in the barn and have to start weaning all over again.Advice please.
Thanks, Donna

Don't do it. If they're in good body condition and have plenty to eat, they'll be fine. They'll find a low spot to get out of the wind. You'll just make it harder on them to let the calves on them again after 12 days.

Thanks Frankie,
I hope you are right. I'd hate to start all over. But I do love the girls.
Donna

D OSBURN":2h4c8let said:
Thanks Frankie,
I hope you are right. I'd hate to start all over. But I do love the girls.
Donna

Do you have a good herd health program? Are they in good body condition? It's pretty rough here tonight, but the cows are laying in a low spot where the wind won't hit them. Even the ones who have a barn available (a cow with a new calf and three heifers) are laying out by the fence, not in the barn. If that heifer decides to calve tonight, I hope she goes to the barn, but I doubt that she will. Now these are Angus cows; they tolerate cold much better than the longhorn gomer bull we're using. If you have some Brahman influence, it might make a difference.

There is 5 charolais and one charolais/hereford cross. They are all up to date on shots and in good health. The problem is they don't want to go too far away from the calves. We are fence-line weaning and it has gone really well with the moms and calves able to see each other. It doesn't usually stay cold very long around here central Texas, but, they are saying this storm won't clear til Tuesday but it's going to stay cold for several days. I guess I should also say that they are all due to calve April/May. These are the ones I hope to keep for al long time.
Donna

They'll be fine...Mine are out on hay meadows- all pretty flat, but have some windbreaks and lowspots-- and we just went thru several days of rain/sleet/snow followed by 10 - 20 below temps and 30 to 40 mph winds with 20 to 50 below chill factor-- and they are doing great...
Sun came out today and temp got to 10 Above and some of the heifers were running around bucking and playing in the sun...

Thanks you all,
You don't know how much better I feel. I think maybe now I'll sleep tonight. Thanks again.
Donna

I stole this picture off a ranchers.net post...This is of a calf in Kansas last big storm....Now this is cold and wet...

tribunesnowheifer.jpg

Hey Oldtimer,
What a picture! Do you think that calf survived? Our cattle did just fine as you all said they would. But it is gonna be pretty cold for this part of Texas for a while. Thanks again.
Donna

Latest posts