Cold weather shifting

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I have an old M farmall that I use to get bales out of a lean to that the cabbed tractors will not fit. I changed the rear end oil and now when it gets down to zero I have trouble getting it to shift. I think I used too heavy of an oil. It will get down to 20 below F this coming week so I know it will be difficult. The shifting is of course very simple, three rails and the shift lever just pushes a rail forward or backward. My question; is there an additive I can add to the rear end or just dump in some #10 engine oil? thanks farmguy

farmguy said:
I have an old M farmall that I use to get bales out of a lean to that the cabbed tractors will not fit. I changed the rear end oil and now when it gets down to zero I have trouble getting it to shift. I think I used too heavy of an oil. It will get down to 20 below F this coming week so I know it will be difficult. The shifting is of course very simple, three rails and the shift lever just pushes a rail forward or backward. My question; is there an additive I can add to the rear end or just dump in some #10 engine oil? thanks farmguy

The original farmall books will tell you what oil to use in what temp range I don't know what weight you put in but it also says in farmall books if its in severe weahter to add some kerosene to the oil. I rebuild farmalls and usually put a lil kerosene in it anyway.

"The original farmall books will tell you what oil to use in what temp range I don't know what weight you put in but it also says in farmall books if its in severe weahter to add some kerosene to the oil. I rebuild farmalls and usually put a lil kerosene in it anyway."

thanks

farmguy said:
"The original farmall books will tell you what oil to use in what temp range I don't know what weight you put in but it also says in farmall books if its in severe weahter to add some kerosene to the oil. I rebuild farmalls and usually put a lil kerosene in it anyway."

thanks

If you want I will look sometime this weekend in my books and see if I can tell you exactly the answer if you want.

Edit .. Nevermind you wont have to wait did a search and its pretty much the same as the page in this forum.

https://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/53682-farmall-h-transmission-oil/

Thanks guys. I added 1 gallon of #2 diesel and it really made a difference once it got mixed in.

Several years ago I switched my'63 Ford 2000 over to today's THD oil and it made a difference in shifting but the thinner oil did bring out some noises I didn't have before....old age maybe...naw, not a chance.....yeah right. :hide:

farmguy said:
Thanks guys. I added 1 gallon of #2 diesel and it really made a difference once it got mixed in.

Hope it was winter blend, or you'll spend hours cleaning paraffin off of the screen if it has hydraulics. Should always use kerosene to thin hydraulic oil.