Cold weather project

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+

Reaction score
It was cold and windy down here this past weekend so I stayed in the garage and built this basket for the front of my 4 wheeler so I can carry more stuff like roll of barber wire, hammers, stretchers, and such without them falling off. Thought I would share with you guy's.

Oh and it's painted now.

Wrack2.jpg

I like it! It's big enough to carry 1 (one) snack for one of Crowders delights!

Put a lid on it and you can carry calves in from the swamp in it. Of course then you;ld have momma blowing snot in your shirt pocket instead of your back pocket

dun

MikeC":b3sggq6p said:

Oh that is a good one Mike. I gotta give ya the thumbs up for best one of the day on it. Maybe Crowder won't see it. ;-)

dun":325jxvjr said:
Put a lid on it and you can carry calves in from the swamp in it. Of course then you;ld have momma blowing snot in your shirt pocket instead of your back pocket

dun

Yeah, but at least I will have SOMETHING between her and I. I sometimes don't give momma enough respect if you know what I mean.

MikeC":2uhtrc0o said:
You got a tubing bender?

I just use an EMT (conduit)bender for this kind of stuff. If I need to bend REAL steel tubing a friend of mine bought one and I can use it anytime since I taught him to weld.

flaboy+":2i6qgzvn said:
MikeC":2i6qgzvn said:

Oh that is a good one Mike. I gotta give ya the thumbs up for best one of the day on it. Maybe Crowder won't see it. ;-)
Dont worry, I saw it.Nice picnic basket.

Flaboy,

Nice basket. I've always thought it'd be nice to have two five-gallon bucket holders on a front or back rack. Seems like the gravity bed wagon is always too many steps from the feed troughs. The basket would work well for lots of things though.

Scout":3hgtjzen said:
Flaboy,

Nice basket. I've always thought it'd be nice to have two five-gallon bucket holders on a front or back rack. Seems like the gravity bed wagon is always too many steps from the feed troughs. The basket would work well for lots of things though.

It will hold two 5 gallon buckets. Might hold 3 I haven't tried it. I did have this in it this weekend, two hammers, fence pliers, chainsaw, staples, pliers, two jackets, axe, machete, tape measure, bag-o-handtools, several jugs of water, and probably some stuff I have forgot. :lol:

D.R. Cattle":3b00anzr said:
Southern ingenuity at work. No wonder they keep telling me to leave the horse at home and use an ATV to work cows with.

Don't listen to them D.R. I thought I was being smart to get a 4 wheeler to run cows around. They don't think much of it. They respect the horse much better. I am going back the horse for cows and the 4 wheeler for other chores. ;-)

flaboy+":20ym35vz said:
Don't listen to them D.R. I thought I was being smart to get a 4 wheeler to run cows around. They don't think much of it. They respect the horse much better. I am going back the horse for cows and the 4 wheeler for other chores. ;-)

With my restricted time, I had to jump to being a Quadrunner Cowboy for checking animals and herding. The first couple times I hit into the pasture, the herd almost stampeded through the fence :lol:

After about a week, they wouldn't move a muscle when I went near, so I built a push bar. They learned that if they didn't move, they got a little push.

It took awhile, but now they're to the point where I can work them. But its still not as nice as a horse.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":20heli81 said:
With my restricted time, I had to jump to being a Quadrunner Cowboy for checking animals and herding. The first couple times I hit into the pasture, the herd almost stampeded through the fence :lol:

After about a week, they wouldn't move a muscle when I went near, so I built a push bar. They learned that if they didn't move, they got a little push.

It took awhile, but now they're to the point where I can work them. But its still not as nice as a horse.

Rod

Mine did the same. I had a couple that didn't want to cooperate so I ran them down and then I got to thinking "What do I do now"? I had a rope but figured a 1000 pound cow wouldn't even notice it was tied to the 4 wheeler. That is when I decided it was time to go back to a REAL horse. :lol:

I'm warming up to the idea that some of the rotations can be done with an ATV. Most of the highly improved pastures with no woods and cattle trained to rotate regularly. But the boss just doesn't get it about the rest. We tried to cake out 300 head with big calves on them today in a wooded 1100 acre pasture. We were pretty successful by some accounts. We were only 50 head shy of what was supposed to be in there. So tomorrow were going to go ride out the pasture anyway to find the other 50 and rotate them toward the pens. ATV's are great for some things, but where I come from they will never get it all done. And what about parting some bulls out of a herd in the pasture so you don't have to pen the whole herd to sort? The list continues.