cold weather padlocks?

Help Support CattleToday:

circleKranch

Reaction score
Anyone from the cold weather states, have an opinion on good padlocks? Not interested in throwing money at something going to freeze up. Most of what I have are frozen. I had a few that were stuck back in September. I tried PB Breaker, WD-40, Fuel oil, more things thatn imaginable. I have all my locks cover with a canvas sheet. I know there is probably something out there that companies use, I dont to get out a torch everytime I need to go through a gate.

On another note. I want to install some auto-openers on a few gates. My dad cant get around as well, and would for him to be able to open gates w/o getting out of Gator. Maybe someone can lead me in the right direction for a good price.

Thanks'JC

I've had good luck with the plastic covered master locks,they still freeze but not as often.I would put a little diesel in them that seemed to help.Used to get 3 for around $20

EAT BEEF":2tx39ht2 said:
I've had good luck with the plastic covered master locks,they still freeze but not as often.I would put a little diesel in them that seemed to help.Used to get 3 for around $20

Thats what I use, not covered and not lubricated. 5 years now on my bulk diesel tank, longer on some of the gates. Paid about the same too, as I recall, 5 years is a long time!

Duh......I was thinking frozen as in coated with ice. For lubricant I just use powdered graphite. Other then ice coated I haven;t had a problem with ta padlock freezing

When they do freeze I carry one of those cheap lighters that puts out a flame like a mini blow torch.

It fits in my pocket and lights easily in any wind. If ice coated I knock it off first and play the little torch into the key hole for a second or two. Works great. Lowes or Home Depot has them. Check the plumbing department.

Jon

Latest posts