Cold weather calving

Help Support CattleToday:

JR Cattle Co.

Reaction score
:mad: :mad: :mad: What the heck is the deal??? Is it just me or does everyone else have the same problem? Why do they always wait to calve during the middle of an ice storm??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

I think mine like to hold out through as much bad weather as they can so I have to go out in the nasty crap to check them. Then they bed down as far from the house as they can get, and spread out from each other so I have to spend 45 minutes freezing my rear off thinking they are spread out because one of them is calving. Then they calve when the weather is decent, but I have something planned that I really don't want to miss. :drink:

cows calve when they want to,they dont care if its cold wet an uncomfy for us.an they will hide in the trees an back pastures.not caring how much we hunt them.

I have had about 40 calves this last week all in snow or ice. I am going to hold bulls and calve until end of march from now on. I have done February for three years in a row and done ok. Think the odds are not in my favor now. I do like February calves as soon as grass is here they can take the milk and also are grazing some. Having a larger no. of bull calves than usual this year.

Latest posts