Cold weather calving

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I truly hate cold weather calving a yearling bull got to this heifer2 months earlier than I wanted now I had a calf in the coldest part of the year. I spent a good while drying this booger off since he was doing bad and shaking severely. I don't expect this to happen again but incase I am building some calf huts out of some water totes I have with heat lamps.

IMG_20170130_213603122_zpsc69qltfh.jpg

I didn't pull my bulls this year. I've had 24 calves since Jan 1st. I got super lucky. Hadn't had a cold day yet. I won't make that mistake again.

Bigfoot":16tzugx0 said:
I didn't pull my bulls this year. I've had 24 calves since Jan 1st. I got super lucky. Hadn't had a cold day yet. I won't make that mistake again.

Yea I bet I put her with bull thinking he bred her so id be having her calf in april... WRONG

midTN_Brangusman":16tzugx0 said:
Good lookin calf sky

Thanks midTN

Good save, Sky, and he's a cutie! Two years ago we had 5 calves with partial missing/frostbitten ears and one called Stumpy because half his tail eventually fell off. We've since moved "spring" calving back to the end of Feb.

Oooooh, Gizmom, always an open invite to experience negative temps & wind chills just so you can say "Been there, done that!" :)

gizmom":gb7yd3q6 said:
Cold? What do you consider cold for me it is anything below 50 degrees.

gizmom

12 degrees

TCRanch":gb7yd3q6 said:
Good save, Sky, and he's a cutie! Two years ago we had 5 calves with partial missing/frostbitten ears and one called Stumpy because half his tail eventually fell off. We've since moved "spring" calving back to the end of Feb.

Oooooh, Gizmom, always an open invite to experience negative temps & wind chills just so you can say "Been there, done that!" :)

Thanks yea he's spunky spring is best for me

I'm with you on that Sky; hate the cold weather calving. Glad you got him up and going.We shoot for last week feb at the earliest. And I do it "backwards" from so many, I hold my heifers and calve them in April/May after most of the cows are done. I want warmer weather, so that they are not dealing with the cold when they are trying to get it all figured out. It has worked good for us. I don't normally calve heifers in the fall, but had a group of 9 last year all within 30 days except 1 and they were done by Oct 1st. Calves have done pretty good. Will have some fall ones again next fall, but will have about 25-30 this spring. Got to get them preg checked next week, we have had them on grass and finally time to move them home. 9 went to visit the neighbors bull from the pasture where a tree took out the fence in back, so will be a little smaller than I like, won't hurt my feelings if they aren't all bred. Have 16 in the group that were planned to get bred. They look good.

We normally have a spring season Mar-May and a fall season Sep-Nov.

Bought some bred cows so they could come anytime...luckily it hasn't been too bad here, most nights in the mid 20's and days up in the 40's & 50's. Was glad there weren't any in that cold rain a couple of weeks ago.

I used to calve in January. Moved to March and I swear some years it's worse than January. I use calf coats on my little guys when the temperature drops too low. Noticed they seemed to grow better since they don't have to use as much extra energy to stay warm. Coats and watching my cattle closely have saved me many calves over the years.

We always have a few come in below freezing weather, it's not a problem most of the time, but there was one this year that was pretty bad. Had one night with freezing rain. Naturally, had a heifer pick that night to calve. Calf's fine, it took too long to get up on it's own, so I had to put in the gator to warm it up/dry it off and give it a pint of colostrum. Good mama, stayed right there and was happy to have the calf back when I was done with it. I'm never going to make up the lost sleep though.

SIMMGAL":3mposlkw said:
I used to calve in January. Moved to March and I swear some years it's worse than January. I use calf coats on my little guys when the temperature drops too low. Noticed they seemed to grow better since they don't have to use as much extra energy to stay warm. Coats and watching my cattle closely have saved me many calves over the years.
Calf coats?Never heard of such- Do you buy them or make them?Got my curiosity up

I have duct taped there ears to their necks, to keep the tips from freezing off. Never put one in a snow suit.

skyhightree1":581r95uh said:
I truly hate cold weather calving a yearling bull got to this heifer2 months earlier than I wanted now I had a calf in the coldest part of the year. I spent a good while drying this booger off since he was doing bad and shaking severely. I don't expect this to happen again but incase I am building some calf huts out of some water totes I have with heat lamps.

IMG_20170130_213603122_zpsc69qltfh.jpg
Precious little thing! looking forward to new babies

reeler":2nv8kvx0 said:
SIMMGAL":2nv8kvx0 said:
Calf coats?Never heard of such- Do you buy them or make them?Got my curiosity up

You can make them, but we buy the heavier-duty ones. They are basically just a small horse coat. Over the years, I have found that the calves who we put coats on grow a lot faster and have a "fatter" appearance once we remove the coats than calves without coats. I'm a believer!!! They make lighter ones, but here are the heavier duty ones we use:

https://www.uddertechinc.com/

And yes, I do use pink ones on heifers and blue ones on bulls! :lol2:

Calf coats are one thing, but ear muffs are another. :lol2: :lol2:
https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/ia/p-577-sullivans-calf-ear-muffs.aspx

SIMMGAL":1fhr88go said:
reeler":1fhr88go said:
SIMMGAL":1fhr88go said:

You can make them, but we buy the heavier-duty ones. They are basically just a small horse coat. Over the years, I have found that the calves who we put coats on grow a lot faster and have a "fatter" appearance once we remove the coats than calves without coats. I'm a believer!!! They make lighter ones, but here are the heavier duty ones we use:

We use the coats regularly and have the ear muffs on hand. We don't usually calve the spring herds until March/April, but up here, we still get some super rough weather that late in the season. When we calved earlier, pretty much every calf had to wear a coat and muffs. The muffs do need some assistance staying on, gorilla tape works excellent.

SIMMGAL":1olotg1o said:
reeler":1olotg1o said:
SIMMGAL":1olotg1o said:
quote]

Thank you for answering & providing the links.Glad they come in pink & blue :lol:

Latest posts