cold season calving in the north

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
Most of the registered breeders around here seem to calve around feb/march. And it can be quite cold, from -0 deg to 40 deg. I was wondering about frozen teats with the calves sucking on them with the cold weather anyone have any problems with this. I guess this whould apply to fall calving in the north colder climates also. thanks for any replies

We have calved in -40 degree weather and never had problems with that, they do get fresh bedding when it gets cold. I would not worry about to cow to much it can take care of it self. Good luck in the cold.

it can be quite cold, from -0 deg to 40 deg. I was wondering about frozen teats with the calves sucking on them with the cold weather anyone have any problems with this

Yes problems do occur occasionally ; it is more common with a higher producing cow and usually in the first month when the calf cannot empty the udder completely.The udder will actually freeze and you will lose that quarter.(This is more common with a dairy breed)

The teats usually just get chapped so you have to watch that the calf is going after all four or there could be a possibility of mastitis.

It is essential to have wind breaks and plenty of bedding when calving in such frigid conditions and usually healthy cows will stay healthy.

I'd wondered if frozen teats were just a dairy thing or not. Sounds like it happens to beef cows too? on the dairy we don't worry much about 2nd lactation or over, or heifers that have calved 2 months or more before the real cold hits... it's the heifers that calve in the coldest months that I've seen come in with teats that are basically frozen solid. Boss has wondered before if the older cows have better mammary circulation and that helps prevent frostbite, whereas the fresh heifers have poor circulation and a tight udder, predisposing them to frostbite? Dunno.

If we have one ready to calve and the weather is nasty cold or worse, cold rain then we move her into the barn with lots of fresh straw in the OB stall. We're experiencing a thaw right now so the mud will be a real problem for the next few weeks or month...had alot of snow...and we will bring the gals in to calve.
DMc

We set our cattle to calf in May to prevent cold weather calving and, more importantly, the cold wet muddy months of March and April. Often time those months, as you know, bring rain and snow on the same day. Cold and dry is better than cold and wet.

Another added bonus to May calving is that its a lot easier to do those 2 a.m. checks if you can run outside barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt instead of 3 layers and sorels or mud boots! :nod:

Another added bonus to May calving is that its a lot easier to do those 2 a.m. checks if you can run outside barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt instead of 3 layers and sorels or mud boots
! by angie

OK smarty pants, so what if it takes me all day to get my Hally's and extra flannel on in the same time as you could have checked your cows three times. :p

Whats your point?????????? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Think of the work out I get just dressing and undressing to check cows in this weather. I am exhausted but it saves me a day in the gym. ;-)

hillsdown":265p27zh said:
Another added bonus to May calving is that its a lot easier to do those 2 a.m. checks if you can run outside barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt instead of 3 layers and sorels or mud boots
! by angie

OK smarty pants, so what if it takes me all day to get my Hally's and extra flannel on in the same time as you could have checked your cows three times. :p

Whats your point?????????? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Think of the work out I get just dressing and undressing to check cows in this weather. I am exhausted but it saves me a day in the gym. ;-)
Is funny you comment ~ you are just the person I was thinking of when I said that ;-)
Give me the gym anyday! :nod:

Me too; give me a punching bag and a tread mill anyday. Not really as I love the animals too much.
The wind just about took my breath away tonight last check fed a baby and nothing is happening.
I still did a 6 mile run earlier. Can't quit hubby is very competitive.

How is the residential housing for disruptive people tonight?

Latest posts