Cold in Manitoba

Help Support CattleToday:

We aren't much warmer than you.. that's a change!.. Friday and saturday were darned windy and about -18C.. Today was -22C in the morning but windstill. Keeping the stoves nicely fired up!

Just got in from hammering in a T-post out in a pasture to re-route an electric wire. Can vouch that on bare, disturbed ground, there is a solid 3" of frost, almost 4". Makes for a good workout with the pounder.

[youtube]j[/youtube]
Aaron":tnmbrsn9 said:
Just got in from hammering in a T-post out in a pasture to re-route an electric wire. Can vouch that on bare, disturbed ground, there is a solid 3" of frost, almost 4". Makes for a good workout with the pounder.
We very seldom have ground freeze 4".

jedstivers":1xnbel3i said:
[youtube]j[/youtube]
Aaron":1xnbel3i said:
We very seldom have ground freeze 4".

It went down 8' in the cleared areas of the yard last winter. I know this because it broke a water line that is 8' deep. Most years you can figure at least 3-4'.

I keep the shop around 18-19C, the house is about 21C, so it's nice and warm.

Aaron, what I did to install electric fences in the winter time is I ran an inverter on my truck, and used a big, fast electric drill with a sharpened piece of 1/2" steel in it and then ran that into the ground, the friction would melt its way in pretty easily, and then I'd run thin steel posts into the hole.. worked great, but you do have to wait for a thaw to pull them back out!

Around here I think on a cold winter without much snow cover the frost goes down about 3-4 feet.. mud gets about that deep when it thaws :p

Nesikep":3q88aa0m said:
I keep the shop around 18-19C, the house is about 21C, so it's nice and warm.

Aaron, what I did to install electric fences in the winter time is I ran an inverter on my truck, and used a big, fast electric drill with a sharpened piece of 1/2" steel in it and then ran that into the ground, the friction would melt its way in pretty easily, and then I'd run thin steel posts into the hole.. worked great, but you do have to wait for a thaw to pull them back out!

Around here I think on a cold winter without much snow cover the frost goes down about 3-4 feet.. mud gets about that deep when it thaws :p

Already covered that topic (posts into frozen ground) on another thread. Could have went and gotten the tractor and pushed it down, but seems silly for one t- post. Regular rebar posts can be driven with a mallet hammer in the winter - no need for drill. Might even work better if the tips of each posts was ground down to a point. Also covered removal of steel posts in same thread, no need to wait for end of winter.

Tropical heatwave here this morning- well almost ;-) ... Temp was 17 Below when I went to bed last night - and is up to 2 Below at 6AM... :D

rockridgecattle":2d8wk5u0 said:
It's -23C with a windchill of -36 C

And they said it would be a mild winter.

Nice to see the sunshine.

Who said it was supposed to be mild?

This thread is right up old timers alley, bragging rights on cold weather :)

AllForage":2gu289x8 said:
rockridgecattle":2gu289x8 said:
It's -23C with a windchill of -36 C

And they said it would be a mild winter.

Nice to see the sunshine.

Who said it was supposed to be mild?

This thread is right up old timers alley, bragging rights on cold weather :)

Oldtimer thinks the cold keeps the rifraf out of his country.

Latest posts