Cold enough

Help Support CattleToday:

-7 here with a wind chill of -24. I had been watching the weather and it didn't show below zero temps for the next 10 days. They were wrong. Again.

Weather station in the house this morning, -40.9. It dropped a little more as the sun came up.

View attachment 11625

But at least the water was working as intended:

View attachment 11626

Replacements happy to get their grain:
View attachment 11628

Cows make quite a fog in the valleys in this weather:
View attachment 11627

It is 9 this morning. No new snow. It is waiting until I go out to feed to start snowing again.

Ya'll have fun in that kind of weather. God didn't make me an Eskimo. One or two maybe 3 snows a years I'm good on the snow. That white stuff isn't for me. Looks pretty, looks can be deceiving. Sand and the ocean looks pretty. Sand all in the butt crack sharks biting your arms and legs off and jelly fish stinging you butt isn't for me either. Hahahaaha 😆🤣🤦🏽‍♀️ I should advise for a beachfront resort. Hahahaha

My house isn't easy to heat when it's really cold outside. Yesterday the sun was shining and it got up to about 17C in the house. I have a pellet stove upstairs and a couple of electric baseboard heaters. In the basement I have a 35,000 btu wall heater I had installed this winter, as well as a wood heater. I might light the wood heater today as the sun isn't expected to shine lol.
I would still be rugged up well your house, but that is an impressive temp differential with the outside.

Ken

Time to bring all those lefty, anti oil and gas folks into your region, dress them in short pants and a T-shirt, kick them outside and ask them how they want to stay warm!
Best to all,
Bez
I would like to stake them to a post out on the Red Desert in the middle of January. Dad used to ride that desert in January; for some reason they always gathered in January. Dad talks about it being -40 degrees out there; not single cowboy ever quit because of the cold. Dad talks about breaking 12" icicles off the horses nose.

Pairs and cows are still wandering down out of the hills. There was 4 pairs that came down today. The were hung up by the end of my driveway. So I hopped on my quad to move them along towards home. I took them about 2 miles down the road until my right thumb said enough of this nonsense. Just sitting on a quad putting down the road at cow speed of 2 mph it gets cold when it is 18 degrees out. Where I left them they only have another mile to go. One old cow looked like she knew where she was going.

S$#t no!! I was sweating today had the a.c. cut on. This isn't right for December. Nelly It's gettin' hot in herre... need switch back to Jeezy the snowman, I make it winter time... (don't worry thats just some nonsense lyrics I was being silly.)

My phone said it was 5 above this morning when I went out to feed, but that reading is taken at the airport and it higher, and farther from the river than we are. Running that open station tractor was no fun this morning, I am pretty sure we were pretty close to zero.

Winter has finally made it here to Riverton, we got several inches of snow yesterday. I think it was about -10F when we went to feed this morning. Dad was remarking on how he was able to take the cold riding out on the Red desert in January, but he can't take it anymore; it would get to -40F and not one single cowboy quit because it was to cold. He had to go in because he got cold out there this morning. Of course he was riding the ATV, we had to get a couple cows in that need doctored. One is a crazy ole bag that has earned her spot on the cull list; she got hung up on the gate last month during the preg check. I not sure if she broke that leg or dislocated her shoulder. I may just sell as a cow/calf pair next spring.

Looks like winter. Is this unusual for your area?
Not really unusual, although we typically don't get as much is as predicted (4-8 inches). With the exception of a few days December was a little warmer than sometimes. We can get the whole range, occasionally some years hardly any measurable snow, most winters we average around 2 accumulating snows, which most times are gone that day or within a couple of days. Then we can get an occasional winter that temperatures can be below freezing for a couple weeks and snow stays on a while, and then it warms a little then comes a snow again. Winter of 84-85 was the most snow I've ever seen. 88-89 didn't get any snow at all, but a lot of rain. Most winters we get more rain than snow, and at least one of the dreaded ice events.

We have pretty open, easy winters here, but yesterday we were the bullseye for a storm that was maybe 30 miles long and 10 miles wide that dumped 18" of snow and turned below 0* F last night and less than 10* all day. Busted the half mile through the snow on my tired old IH 485 2wd tractor to get cows fed (first bale of the year was yesterday). As soon as I got back to the house the wind kicked up to 30 mph the rest of the day, out of the south, which is backwards to all the windbreaks, so cows catching hell, but at least they have 2 days of hay in front of them (or at least what they didn't crap on after they got their initial fill up). Still blowing, but supposed to turn and come from the west overnight with a chinook and be 32* by 3 a.m. and in the 40s tomorrow.

We have pretty open, easy winters here, but yesterday we were the bullseye for a storm that was maybe 30 miles long and 10 miles wide that dumped 18" of snow and turned below 0* F last night and less than 10* all day. Busted the half mile through the snow on my tired old IH 485 2wd tractor to get cows fed (first bale of the year was yesterday). As soon as I got back to the house the wind kicked up to 30 mph the rest of the day, out of the south, which is backwards to all the windbreaks, so cows catching hell, but at least they have 2 days of hay in front of them (or at least what they didn't crap on after they got their initial fill up). Still blowing, but supposed to turn and come from the west overnight with a chinook and be 32* by 3 a.m. and in the 40s tomorrow.
GoWyo, where are you located? We got 3 or 4 inches yesterday. I think we got more snow at the farm than they did in town, but it was a little hard to measure with wind. We are just six miles north of Riverton.

GoWyo, where are you located? We got 3 or 4 inches yesterday. I think we got more snow at the farm than they did in town, but it was a little hard to measure with wind. We are just six miles north of Riverton.
We are down between Cheyenne and Torrington. I grew up in Lander and ran all over Fremont County. Family ranch is still going strong there. I'm doing my own thing down here.

Latest posts