cold country cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Pretty new to the beef side of the word grew up on a dairy farm. I am looking to get back into cattle when I get back east to Vermont, thinking probably black baldies or red and whites, but since I'm not a beef man I am curious what the pro's think? I am thinking no more than 10 head of cows to start and a good bull for them. that way I dont have to many for the winter and can keep them close to the house, easy maintenance :cowboy: also have to get a couple Scottish Highlanders for the father in law. but any way I figure that 10 and 1 will give me a good start then I can keep a few of my choise heifers here and there and have a better Idea what theyre going to be than buying them.
Frank

GREENMOUNTAINCATTLE":3gxh8x7e said:
Pretty new to the beef side of the word grew up on a dairy farm. I am looking to get back into cattle when I get back east to Vermont, thinking probably black baldies or red and whites, but since I'm not a beef man I am curious what the pro's think? I am thinking no more than 10 head of cows to start and a good bull for them. that way I dont have to many for the winter and can keep them close to the house, easy maintenance :cowboy: also have to get a couple Scottish Highlanders for the father in law. but any way I figure that 10 and 1 will give me a good start then I can keep a few of my choise heifers here and there and have a better Idea what theyre going to be than buying them.
Frank

Sounds like a good plan to me
Not getting any highlanders sounds like a better plan

Orerancher":iupx8nfu said:
Yup good plan...
But they would be all Highlands! :tiphat:

:D hmmmmm :!:

Are you sure :?:

I hauled some Highlander for a lady a few weeks ago, they did seem hardy.Also looked like they would be very slow growing. After hauling them 800 miles I got to wondering what their strong points are :?:

EAT BEEF":3lw1ctmg said:
Orerancher":3lw1ctmg said:
Yup good plan...
But they would be all Highlands! :tiphat:

:D hmmmmm :!:

Are you sure :?:

I hauled some Highlander for a lady a few weeks ago, they did seem hardy.Also looked like they would be very slow growing. After hauling them 800 miles I got to wondering what their strong points are :?:
They can be slow growing but they have strong points. They are very hardy, they eat barely anything and can survive on weeds and tree bark if necessary. They have very few calving problems (bred our Highlands Charolais for a number of years and pulled one calf) and the maternal instinct is incredible. Very few feet and udder problems. Really gentle with their people. Cold and blizzards don't faze them. My grandfather started with these remarkable animals, because he could only visit the ranch twice a week and needed something to take care of themselves. He bred them to Highland bulls and in 10 years he lost no cows and only one calf. They don't do well at market so we only have two old ones left. When they die though I think I may have to buy my mother one Highland just to be the ranch mascot in memory of Gramps.

We have Red Angus here and they do well in the cold. Whatever breed you decide on make sure they have a good haircoat. Leave the ones that are too slick and too short, they get colder.
If you are planning on keeping your own heifers keep that in mind bull shopping. Look for a bull that will throw strong maternal traits and keep in mind you will be selling him and have to replace him before those heifers are of breeding age. Get quiet animals. Have fun.:)

Sounds like you have a plan. Although, I agree, I would drop the Highlands. They are something "different" for the hobbyist. They DEFINATELY know where the tips of those horns are :shock: Just remember the smaller the breed within a species, usually the nastier they get.
Compare draft horses' temperament with Shetlands'. Or St Bernards's with Chiwawa's (sp?)

Our daughter & grandkids live in Vermont & they have Simmentals. We live in NY & have Simmentals. They are VERY hairy. :D :p

As usual I'm out of step with the others. I would get couple of the wooly booger cows just for sentimental reason, realizing they are a loss leader

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1p1pj86l said:
Sounds like you have a plan. Although, I agree, I would drop the Highlands. They are something "different" for the hobbyist. They DEFINATELY know where the tips of those horns are :shock: Just remember the smaller the breed within a species, usually the nastier they get.
Compare draft horses' temperament with Shetlands'. Or St Bernards's with Chiwawa's (sp?)

Our daughter & grandkids live in Vermont & they have Simmentals. We live in NY & have Simmentals. They are VERY hairy. :D :p

Ours have very rarely used their horns and have pretty much always been low cows in the herd.

With that few of cows I would seriously look at AIing instead of keeping a bull for so few. Then you are not feeding him when he is not in use, unless you were going to run him with the cows year round.

Personally I like my Herefords :D , but there are some good cattle out there to choose from. It is mainly what you want to raise. There are both pro and cons for every breed.

Theirs just something about herefords that I like and they've been around for ever and a day, some times thats a good thing, they seem pretty self sufficient/hardy. Not to fond of the bulls though, got pushed in to a wall when I was little by one, good thing there was a tie rail in front of the bugger!
I figured I would invest in a good bull to run with them cause I would probly sell all the calfs the first couple years any ways to build up some green, how ever 20 A/I's would probably be smarter I could pick to best bull for each cow. And yes I know what you mean about the temper being opposite the size, or small man syndrome I call it :D
Frank

Latest posts