Cold, Cold, Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
We are in for some winter temperatures. Winters (Kentucky) for the last 10 years have rarely had spells in the ZERO range. That is about to change.

The 14 fall calves can access a dry area and shelter. Over the last two years, I have setup a hotwire the calves can get under to access a dry area in front of the shop where the cows don't mess. There are corral panels in the shop to limit where they can wonder.

1j67mt.jpg

2z7fzg5.jpg

Jogeephus":15nbk8z6 said:
Looks like pampered pets. I'm going to call PETA.

They are That! Halter broke. Most conditioned to handling in the open. About half will come to me for scratches.

I really enjoy playing with them. There is one heifer that head butts. I have to watch her. She can really nail you.

IT IS 8F HERE RIGHT NOW. 5 mph wind!

6 am, 4 degrees, not sure about the wind but the big trees are swaying. UGLY!

Woke up to -12 F this morning, have been under a wind chill advisory since Christmas. We might break 0 F today. Will warm into the teens tomorrow so it can snow then back down. Saturday our predicted high is -6 F. If and when it gets into the 20's by a week from now it will feel like a heat wave. We were going to vaccinate this weekend but I doubt the needles would stay open. We are used to getting this weather but after the mild early winter we had two weeks in a row is a bit much and hard to take. My biggest concern is the lack of snow. Our water lines are 6' down but they could freeze if this keeps up.

redcowsrule33":3vnlgk5j said:
Woke up to -12 F this morning, have been under a wind chill advisory since Christmas. We might break 0 F today. Will warm into the teens tomorrow so it can snow then back down. Saturday our predicted high is -6 F. If and when it gets into the 20's by a week from now it will feel like a heat wave. We were going to vaccinate this weekend but I doubt the needles would stay open. We are used to getting this weather but after the mild early winter we had two weeks in a row is a bit much and hard to take. My biggest concern is the lack of snow. Our water lines are 6' down but they could freeze if this keeps up.
That's half of the reason we moved from green bay to seattle in 1947. The other half was dad always said "you don;t have to shovel rain"

It's 41 and a drizzle, I really need to go check on a couple of new calves, but I'm not going to till it quits raining. I'm sure glad I'm not a cow.

True Grit Farms":3l6p916q said:
It's 41 and a drizzle, I really need to go check on a couple of new calves, but I'm not going to till it quits raining. I'm sure glad I'm not a cow.
Ummmm....... Been drizzling on and off here for two days......not that it's an indication of weather your going to get but doesn't this generally flow your way?

Have some cows I wanted to take a roll of hay. Waited all day yesterday for the weather to get better. Ended up digging some square bales out to tide them over till today. Hope it gets better by this afternoon.

1982vett":a913qoq0 said:
True Grit Farms":a913qoq0 said:
Ummmm....... Been drizzling on and off here for two days......not that it's an indication of weather your going to get but doesn't this generally flow your way?

Have some cows I wanted to take a roll of hay. Waited all day yesterday for the weather to get better. Ended up digging some square bales out to tide them over till today. Hope it gets better by this afternoon.
Yes the fronts move from the west to the east. Most of the time the weather peters out by the time it gets this far east, or starts dragging north, especially the rain.

And here I am complaining it's 19 out! It's like living in the tropics compared to some of you guys and gals.

Only -24 and a nice crisp breeze this morning. :nod: I got warmed up putting wood into the outdoor boiler wood and running the 5 gallon TMR, but when I tried to top off a tractor with #1 the fuel anti gel additive was too thick to pour... :shock:

Bright Raven":3q5vv802 said:
We are in for some winter temperatures. Winters (Kentucky) for the last 10 years have rarely had spells in the ZERO range. That is about to change.

I'm from KY. We had a mild winter last year, but the three winters before that had several 0 Days here.

herofan":13puczha said:
Bright Raven":13puczha said:

I'm from KY. We had a mild winter last year, but the three winters before that had several 0 Days here.

I didn't remember. Seems like we would hit Zero and bounce back up. This spell looks like we may stay at low temperatures for a couple weeks.

I moved back to Kentucky in 2010. Winters seem milder temperature wise.

Latest posts