Cold, Cold, Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":gfrs8cs6 said:
ohiosteve":gfrs8cs6 said:
Been right around zero here the last couple days. I just got done loading some hay I sold to a crazy horse lady for tomorrow and decided to try to start my 1937 Oliver 70. She fired right up and was purring like a kitten!
How's that massive wood heater working that you built?
It is still working really well but not at my house. I was lucky enough to have a gas pipeline close enough to my house that my boss owns that he let me tap into so now I have natural gas, so I gave that big wood burner to a really good friend of mine and we hooked it up to his shop, he's had it burning all winter. I do have some ideas in my brain though to build another better one and I have most of the materials already on hand.

Silver":3nkdrua2 said:
ALACOWMAN":3nkdrua2 said:
Silver":3nkdrua2 said:
-32C and sunny here this morning. Supposed to get cold tomorrow.
. -32 and supposed to get colder... :cowboy:

No, -32 isn't cold, it's just chilly. -40 to -50 is cold. :nod:

You keep that up there Silver. It was -17 C and snowed about 5 inches today. A few cows came wandering out of the bush from where they were digging. That Great White Cowboy is a good hand. :D

6 bulls left to gather.

gcreekrch":1i7hsczk said:
Silver":1i7hsczk said:
ALACOWMAN":1i7hsczk said:
. -32 and supposed to get colder... :cowboy:

No, -32 isn't cold, it's just chilly. -40 to -50 is cold. :nod:

You keep that up there Silver. It was -17 C and snowed about 5 inches today. A few cows came wandering out of the bush from where they were digging. That Great White Cowboy is a good hand. :D

6 bulls left to gather.

Supposed to be Plus 1 on Wed, if it gets to -40 like I'm sure it will in the next day or so that would be a pretty big swing. 74 degrees Foreignheit for our foreign friends ;-)

True Grit Farms":9plytlg3 said:
Well that saves on cutting wood. Hopefully the gas never goes down.
I still have 2 wood burners in the house and keep the one in the living room burning most of the winter. It's just really nice having cheap natural gas to help ease the burden. It could dry up, but it is extremely unlikely. I will always burn wood though just because I enjoy it.

ohiosteve":2k0s2mte said:
True Grit Farms":2k0s2mte said:
Well that saves on cutting wood. Hopefully the gas never goes down.
I still have 2 wood burners in the house and keep the one in the living room burning most of the winter. It's just really nice having cheap natural gas to help ease the burden. It could dry up, but it is extremely unlikely. I will always burn wood though just because I enjoy it.

You would think heat is heat but I find the heat from a wood burner is so much better, it seems to penetrate the room better, maybe because it dries the air too I don't know but just seems to be better/nicer.

Ken

The cold is settling in! It is going deeper in the ground, buildings are losing their warmth, mother earth is not as warm. The molecules in everything exposed are slowing down. It's Cold, Cold, Cold; it's cold all around.

Bright Raven":23l9e05z said:
The cold is settling in! It is going deeper in the ground, buildings are losing their warmth, mother earth is not as warm. The molecules in everything exposed are slowing down. It's Cold, Cold, Cold; it's cold all around.

This runs contrary to everything I've heard about global warming.

TennesseeTuxedo":25mr6hsa said:
Bright Raven":25mr6hsa said:

This runs contrary to everything I've heard about global warming.
Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.

I guess this isn't the place to tell you all my woes about heat exhasution Tuesday? It was 85 here and I was helping a lady build a barn and just got to hot. Put me in bed for the next 24 hours. I do feel sorry for you guys tho.

melking":16uy557o said:
I guess this isn't the place to tell you all my woes about heat exhasution Tuesday? It was 85 here and I was helping a lady build a barn and just got to hot. Put me in bed for the next 24 hours. I do feel sorry for you guys tho.

Did the heat put you in bed or the "Lady".

:hide:

Bright Raven":1e8ajqte said:
melking":1e8ajqte said:

No unfortunately it was the heat.

melking":2kr0tzru said:
Bright Raven":2kr0tzru said:
melking":2kr0tzru said:

No unfortunately it was the heat.

You said it got hot! So I had to ask. Women love those British Gentleman types.

Cold enough that my wife finally admitted that she understood why I HATE winter. Couple mornings ago, had a new fangled lock with rubber coating around it, and covering the keyhole, moisture still got in and froze it, to where the key wouldn't go in. Tried some de icer spray, but it was stopped up too, least I had some bolt cutters in the truck. Finally got that group of heifers fed.
These kind of days makes me really wonder why folks stayed settled in these parts and parts north of here.

Looks like the new year is going to come in cold this time even down here. At least it will be sunny and no precipitation with it this time.

Forecast here is -14 to ring in the new year. That's not counting the wind chill (very windy here). Having tractor problems. Inches of ice on top of the snow and hard to walk also. Is it May soon? Heck I'd take April...

Silver":2a7xetfl said:
40 below here tonight, don't know what the wind chill would make it, but I know I'm looking forward to warmer temps.

Careful Silver, the last time we hit -53 a high percentage Simmental cow died on the feed ground from heart failure while chewing a mouthful of hay................. :lol2:

Latest posts