Cold, Cold, Cold

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":3k5wdory said:
herofan":3k5wdory said:
Bright Raven":3k5wdory said:
We are in for some winter temperatures. Winters (Kentucky) for the last 10 years have rarely had spells in the ZERO range. That is about to change.

I'm from KY. We had a mild winter last year, but the three winters before that had several 0 Days here.

I didn't remember. Seems like we would hit Zero and bounce back up. This spell looks like we may stay at low temperatures for a couple weeks.

I moved back to Kentucky in 2010. Winters seem milder temperature wise.

It was the winter of 2013-2014 Ron. We were fencing around Muncie, IN in April of 2014 and still couldn't drive a post on the north side of a building. That was the longest frozen ground fencing break I've ever had. December 12th to March 10th.

We are a bit warmer here today, we made it to -10 with a -20 wind chill. Yesterday was worse, more wind. It was a high of -15 with a -40 wind chill. Last night when I got home at 11, my truck said it was -23 without factoring wind chill.....I'm just glad spring is only 6 months away!!! :cry:

Farm Fence Solutions":2zaaqayt said:
Bright Raven":2zaaqayt said:
herofan":2zaaqayt said:
I'm from KY. We had a mild winter last year, but the three winters before that had several 0 Days here.

I didn't remember. Seems like we would hit Zero and bounce back up. This spell looks like we may stay at low temperatures for a couple weeks.

I moved back to Kentucky in 2010. Winters seem milder temperature wise.

It was the winter of 2013-2014 Ron. We were fencing around Muncie, IN in April of 2014 and still couldn't drive a post on the north side of a building. That was the longest frozen ground fencing break I've ever had. December 12th to March 10th.
It was about 07 or 08 we got a foot of snow on thanksgiving and it was all still on the ground on new years. There were a copule of refreshers in between but only an additional inch or so.

ALACOWMAN":36fgqbo0 said:
If it's on the ground for more than 3 days here,, not a loaf of bread,or gallon of milk to be found in the state...to make those milk sandwiches..
That cold spell I mentioned did have one positive affect. The cow piles turned into bricks within an hour or so. I gathered truck loads of them and stacked them 2 feet deep all over the garden. When it thawed I turned it in and made a fantastic garden.

I can't imagine some of the temps y'all are talking about! It was 45 here today with rain and I thought I would freeze to death. I am a wimp when it comes to cold, and for me cold starts at 50 degrees.

Gizmom

I had a meeting out of town today, and actually got in early (2:30). The kids must have been sitting watching for me to come in, because when my wheels got still, the phone rang. Through no real fault of their own (beyond youthful bliss), we had several things in disarray. I went in to service, without changing. I was wearing blue jeans, a button up shirt, and a thin cotton jacket. No hat, and no gloves. I was out till about 30 minutes after dark. I am still wrapped in an electric blanket, and sitting in my chair. I believe I would cry, if somebody thumped my ears or toes.

It warmed up to a little over 30 today. Felt flat balmy out. It is suppose to warm up into the 40's tomorrow and Friday and rain which will melt the snow.

6 here this morning. I won't lie.....I wouldn't have been disappointed if the skid steer failed to start. I guess it's a sign that I'm supposed to go to work today.

Farm Fence Solutions":1nvvh5r3 said:
6 here this morning. I won't lie.....I wouldn't have been disappointed if the skid steer failed to start. I guess it's a sign that I'm supposed to go to work today.

8 here. Clear. At least should get some sun.

Bright Raven":2085ms02 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2085ms02 said:

8 here. Clear. At least should get some sun.

Cloudy here, which will actually be helpful. We are in the hills, and it'll get awful greasy if it hits 20 and the sun pops out.

We had 12* last night and got to about 28 today. Some sun, more clouds. Way too cold for here. Frozen pipes at the barn, had to go to my son's to fill up water barrels. No moisture in sight and have been hauling water for 3 months. Moved the cattle from 2 other places where there is no water. We were maybe gonna get some snow but they said it was going to stay south and east. Below normal temps for the next week or so after a warm up to maybe 38 tomorrow.
We need some moisture and soon. Would even welcome some snows if it would help the ground moisture and get some of the creeks and springs to working again.

Did anyone see where they had record snow in the Erie Pa area? About 3 feet on Christmas and another 2 plus feet the next day..... Said it was a record for that day. Guess I really don't want all that much snow.... :hide: :hide:

Been right around zero here the last couple days. I just got done loading some hay I sold to a crazy horse lady for tomorrow and decided to try to start my 1937 Oliver 70. She fired right up and was purring like a kitten!

ohiosteve":1hm5niba said:
Been right around zero here the last couple days. I just got done loading some hay I sold to a crazy horse lady for tomorrow and decided to try to start my 1937 Oliver 70. She fired right up and was purring like a kitten!
How's that massive wood heater working that you built?

Latest posts