Cocklebur

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Sprayed with 2,4 d. 6 oz per gallon and spot sprayed. Not much sign of it doing any good. What else is there to try?

dun

How big were the plants, that should have worked. Even though 2-4 D is quick its not as quick on some weeds as it is on others. Horse weed and smart weed are 2 that you can just about watch die as you spray. Ragweed and milkweed take a day or so. If it don't work theres always roundup.

Another Cocklebur solution:

Get Some sheep to forage the pasture...they will also collect all of those "Devil's Claws" in the pasture in their wool...

Then either sell the sheep or give them to someone you don't like...

LOL.

There is a " LV 2 4 D" that we use in our area because of the DogFennal
weed(smells like carrots), the other 2 4 d just makes it mad.
There is a spec list inside the label that tells what weeds it controls and or kills.
We used about 1 1/2 pints per 50 gals in a jet sprayper per acre +/- .
Best results, spring, can tell by the welting of the weeds in about 5 days. Still takes a second time around if later in the summer.
Anyway, that is what we do.
I believe Gordons(sp) is the product name. I had e mail the company about other choices and one was pronto(sp), a bit stronger and more $'s.

Running Arrow Bill":1c4zlt67 said:

Get Some sheep to forage the pasture...they will also collect all of those "Devil's Claws" in the pasture in their wool...

LOL.

Bill, you forgot one other means of gathering them. Get a milk cow. She will find the burs, pick them up in the tassel of her tail and deliver them to the side of your head each day. When I was coming up my granddad ran sheep and cattle. He would stop the pickup just to get out and hoe up a Cocklebur. They were a rare sight then. That 'chemical free' approach was arcane but effective. Of course, there were enough sheep in this country then that most folks stayed on top of them. He hated them almost as bad as rattlesnakes. Same with devil's claws. They're just as nasty if not worse.

Craig-TX

Running Arrow Bill":1g3lzho7 said:

LOL.

Gee, that makes two good uses for range maggots. Gathering burrs and coyote bait.

dun

Craig-TX":2qj8e5ps said:
When I was coming up my granddad ran sheep and cattle. He would stop the pickup just to get out and hoe up a Cocklebur. They were a rare sight then. That 'chemical free' approach was arcane but effective.
Craig-TX

Last year we saw one here and there and cut them. This year in one pasture we found a forest in a distant corner. Since we've been cutting a couple of pickup loads of thistle each week, I'm too lazy to start on the burrs.

dun

Don't know about the herbicides, but I've used the "mechanical" methods on the relatively few that pop up on my place each spring. The small one's are easy to pull up by hand. When I get too tired and/or lazy to do all that bending down I use a hand sickle and try to get them before the burrs mature, or even form.

Now, if we could just convince some city kids to come out and go hunting for "porcupine eggs" we might be able to easily solve the problem.

Arnold Ziffle":1kmbclgf said:
Now, if we could just convince some city kids to come out and go hunting for "porcupine eggs" we might be able to easily solve the problem.

Arnold, that's an easy one! All you've got to do is convince 'em they're good for smokin' or snortin' and make 'em illegal. You might have to show 'em how once or twice. Then put up lots of POSTED signs. Done deal.

Arnold Ziffle":1lqo136g said:
Don't know about the herbicides, but I've used the "mechanical" methods on the relatively few that pop up on my place each spring. The small one's are easy to pull up by hand. When I get too tired and/or lazy to do all that bending down I use a hand sickle and try to get them before the burrs mature, or even form.

When I was a kid we had a little patch of bottom land that was to wet to plow for a period of time and the cockleburrs took it over. We had an old man come up to the house to ask permission to "pick some" to make "cockleburr tea" for his arthritis. Maybe you could sell them to a herbalist.

Running Arrow Bill":1cy55iyh said:

LOL.

Just a comment about sheep and cockleburrs- Cockleburr plants are deadly poison when they are in the two-leaf stage just after emergence. Most animals can't get to them to eat them at that time- except sheep- and it will knock them over fast. Many years ago I lost several before I realized what was killing them.

It's all academic(sp) now. The cows apparently thought that the 2-4,d was salad dressing. As soon as they wilted they cleaned up everything but the center stem and the burs themselves.

dun

Latest posts