coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

It was mentioned in the article of coccidiosis that a treatment of a
coccidiant could be given. Our vet stated there was no cure and all affected cattle would need to be cut from the herd and sent to slaughter.
There is currently a herd of 300 that were tested last week and awaiting response from the blood draws. If there is more we can do we certainly need to know.

Also, if the cattle are sent to slaughter what affect would there be on the consumption of the beef?

From the Merck vet manual on-line
"Drugs that can be used for therapy of clinically affected animals include amprolium (10 mg/kg/day for 5 days) and sulfaquinoxaline (6 mg/lb/day for 3-5 days). Sulfaquinoxaline is particularly useful for feedlot cattle that develop bloody diarrhea after arrival. For prevention, amprolium (5 mg/kg/day for 21 days), decoquinate (22.7 mg/100 lb/day for 28 days) and lasalocid (1 mg/kg/day to a maximum of 360 mg/head/day), or monensin (100-360 mg/head/day) can be used. The major benefits of the coccidiostats are through improved feed efficiency and rate of gain.
"

dun

[email protected]":qjnkzsma said:
It was mentioned in the article of coccidiosis that a treatment of a
coccidiant could be given. Our vet stated there was no cure and all affected cattle would need to be cut from the herd and sent to slaughter.
There is currently a herd of 300 that were tested last week and awaiting response from the blood draws. If there is more we can do we certainly need to know.

Also, if the cattle are sent to slaughter what affect would there be on the consumption of the beef?

I,m no vet but I would get a second opion. My son had a show heifer that developed cocidious, our vet cleared it up. She is still alive and well and producing a calf ever 12 months.

Latest posts