coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

rouxshortorn

Reaction score
how does one know when they have coccidiosis in the herd and is it only found in young stock,or can it be found at any age? I've been showing for a few years and learning new things as I go, but finding it hard to get info about certain thing!!!! thinking others will start pointing fingers at others.

We have good luck treating the water with "CoRid" it's about $85 a gallon, you treat the water at 8oz per 100 gal for a week and then 4oz per 100 gal for 3 weeks. You should be able to get it at the feed store / co-op.
It's been my experience that all cattle probably have the bacteria - but young cattle that are stressed it really takes over and causes them problems

sjr725":346vg1jo said:
We have good luck treating the water with "CoRid" it's about $85 a gallon, you treat the water at 8oz per 100 gal for a week and then 4oz per 100 gal for 3 weeks. You should be able to get it at the feed store / co-op.
It's been my experience that all cattle probably have the bacteria - but young cattle that are stressed it really takes over and causes them problems

Been hearing a lot about co rid lately.So I had a few questions.First you can't get it in Alberta as I have asked my nutritionist as well as a few vets.But how do you add it in water what do you do if you have automatic drinkers and not troughs?

We also have automatic waterers - so what I do is isolate the calves I'm treating and turn off the autmatic water or cover it and give them a trough - it's a pain but the alternative is to give as a drench to each individual - a much bigger pain!

Usually we'll see it hit a few pretty hard when we bring them in off summer range and wean them prior to shipping - it's a combination I think of stress from moving them, weaning them and starting them on feed - I keep an eye out for the first signs of it and separate those individuals out into a separate pen with the treated trough. They'll clear up on a week or so, but we'll leave them on it through the course of treatment to make sure they're good before they ship out.