Coccidiosis

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I had a problem with coccidiosis in young calves in the spring for a couple years. I started watching closer for it around that time of year to catch and treat earlier. Also I treat water tanks with Corid in March which seemed to lessen the problem. Fast forward, I had 8 weaned heifers get sick last weekend. They are in a group of 25. It seemed to come on real quick. I couldn't get the vet out so I sent fecal samples to him. Coccidiosis was the diognosis. 3 went down. I've drenched all sick calves with Corid. One died. One is up and improving. Other is still down but eating and alert. Have been drenching daily with electrolytes. The others all improved fairly quick. These heifers have been weaned and had been on peanut & bahia hay. All were in good shape before. I have some steers in a different lot with no signs of problems. Also ,no signs with the cows or young calves. My question is to others that have had coccidiosis problems. Does anyone have a regular preventive plan that seemed to end their problems? I have only had spring problems in the past. Never in the fall or with older calves.

Our treatment plan is exactly like yours we treat water tanks at weaning in the spring. We have never had issues other than the spring. So sorry for your losses. Scary for sure that this happened after they had been treated. Does your vet have any idea as to why?

Gizmom

gizmom":kwuejl11 said:
Our treatment plan is exactly like yours we treat water tanks at weaning in the spring. We have never had issues other than the spring. So sorry for your losses. Scary for sure that this happened after they had been treated. Does your vet have any idea as to why?

Gizmom
He didn't really say why. I will probably start a spring and fall treatment.

Corid is like water here with sheep. Use a feed with Deccox blend or Bovatec, Ruminsen or something labeled for cows in your state. You are making it hard on yourself. First signs if you have a break - look at the boluses and ASAP. Prevent rather than treat.

Ebenezer

We use Corid Solution (Amprolium 9.6%) we haven't had coccidiosis for 15 years. We use the Corid to prevent. This was on the advice of our vet after we lost two calves to cocciciosis. That is why when I hear that someone uses the same preventative and had an outbreak it scares me. We use the 21 day prevention protocol. I just hope we never see another case of coccidiosis it is some nasty stuff.

gizmom

In my herd the calves get Coccidiosis very early, from three or four weeks on, but they're born in what's considered later spring (October, southern hemisphere). It's often worst after a cold snap with rain. I have read/heard that the earlier in their lives they get it, the better off they are - immunity for later on? We've never had it in weaned calves.

My question would be whether early preventative treatment may have a detrimental effect, in that you prevent them gaining sufficient immunity when they're very young? At that age, if they don't get really sick, they're supported by milk and probably better nourished than at any later time in their lives, so in a very good position to get the better of it.

We have seen only a handful of calves over many years which required any treatment. They ended up looking ill with blood scours; the others all go through two to several days of scours and irritation but continue feeding and while they may be a bit slowed down, they're still active enough for me not to worry beyond careful observation for any worse signs.

gizmom":tf60tgi9 said:
Ebenezer

We use Corid Solution (Amprolium 9.6%) we haven't had coccidiosis for 15 years. We use the Corid to prevent. This was on the advice of our vet after we lost two calves to cocciciosis. That is why when I hear that someone uses the same preventative and had an outbreak it scares me. We use the 21 day prevention protocol. I just hope we never see another case of coccidiosis it is some nasty stuff.

gizmom
Just experiences with sheep and advice of state Vet. We never have had a problem with calves. Pretty easy to find feed or mineral with rumensin or bovatec and prevent the issue if there is an issue, I'd think.

My question would be whether early preventative treatment may have a detrimental effect, in that you prevent them gaining sufficient immunity when they're very young? At that age, if they don't get really sick, they're supported by milk and probably better nourished than at any later time in their lives, so in a very good position to get the better of it.
High sulfur, like corn gluten pellets, prevents the development of resistance in lambs. Learned that the hard way, too. But only one time.

Ebenezer":1luwpn3g said:
gizmom":1luwpn3g said:
Ebenezer

gizmom
Just experiences with sheep and advice of state Vet. We never have had a problem with calves. Pretty easy to find feed or mineral with rumensin or bovatec and prevent the issue if there is an issue, I'd think.

High sulfur, like corn gluten pellets, prevents the development of resistance in lambs. Learned that the hard way, too. But only one time.

That's it, that's all.

Wow - death from coccidia. That's pretty rough and seems (to me) kind of excessive. I'm sure we have it at my place and only see an occasional case as, I believe, they all get "used to it" as calves while on their mommas (as was mentioned). Had one pretty sick calf at 4 weeks but I think that's because her momma was a first time heifer and kind of a low milker - think she was spending a lot of time drinking out of mud holes.

All that said, as has been stated, I find bovatec tubs much easier and more helpful than corrid with the exception of that real young calf I mentioned above.

I researched it today and your right we could of avoided using the corid if we would have used mineral with bovatec in it. Excellent information and although I knew about bovatec I can't say I knew it was a treatment for coccidiosis. Your never to old to learn something new. I also researched the new guidelines and if I understand them correctly bovatec will not require a vet script for use.

Gizmom

gizmom":256ndoky said:
I researched it today and your right we could of avoided using the corid if we would have used mineral with bovatec in it. Excellent information and although I knew about bovatec I can't say I knew it was a treatment for coccidiosis. Your never to old to learn something new. I also researched the new guidelines and if I understand them correctly bovatec will not require a vet script for use.

Gizmom
I looked and found information but no source. Did you find a source in the S.E.?

Ebenezer":3l486bct said:
gizmom":3l486bct said:
Eb

Question, when the new regulations concerning medicated feed come into effect will rumensin or bovatec be considered medicine?

Gizmom
Need to ask your Vet.
Used per label Bovatec and Rumensin will not be affected by VFD. Either can be used on calves but Bovatec is approved for sheep and Rumensin approved for Goats.

gizmom":1egfs874 said:

Gizmom
As always it's worthless unless they actually consume it. Much easier to find a feed medicated with Bovatec or Rumensin for calves and we know they will eat it.

Stocker Steve":ou7q74x6 said:
zirlottkim":ou7q74x6 said:
I had a problem with coccidiosis

How common is this?
How much is caused by calving in wet conditions?
These were weaned heifer calves that I had problems with recently. The other two times was spring, very young calves and seems it was wet conditions at the time. Another cattleman in the area had issues back then also. No one that I know of locally is having trouble now. Except me.

zirlottkim":1bunpyo1 said:
Stocker Steve":1bunpyo1 said:
zirlottkim":1bunpyo1 said:
I had a problem with coccidiosis

How common is this?
How much is caused by calving in wet conditions?
These were weaned heifer calves that I had problems with recently. The other two times was spring, very young calves and seems it was wet conditions at the time. Another cattleman in the area had issues back then also. No one that I know of locally is having trouble now. Except me.

We had one outbreak in one pasture during the drought & weren't the only ones around here. A lot of seasoned ranchers said it was because all the birds (including geese, ducks, etc) had flocked to what's left of the ponds & contaminated them. Our vet didn't rule that out as a possibility. Fortunately ours was a mild case and I mixed Corid pellets in with their cubes, cleared it right up.

Latest posts