coccidia

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a two week old calf that is passing blood. It showed no signs of having scours. What are the symptoms of coccidia? and what can I do for treatment? and if it is not coccidia that what could it be and will it go through the rest of my herd? they are not contained.

Jake":8ot9opyt said:
Medicated feed in a self feeder works well that way you can cure or prevent the whole herd of calves.

A two week old calf is not gonna get onto medicated feed in time, I am doubting it's coccidia I'll bet it's scours.

Coccidious, very very bad!!! Symptoms are normally the calf will get weak, lose its appetite. Get very skinny. Once they get it it it's hard to get rid of, normally the calf will die. MAke sure and vaccinate your whole herd or ones who are near it or on the same pasture. Coccidious is a parasite that normal dewormers won't get. I had it effect my goats really bad one year. Go to your vet if you think it's coccidious don't wait. They normally give you something to put in their water.
Ellie May

Ellie May":3h02ssdy said:
Coccidious, very very bad!!! Symptoms are normally the calf will get weak, lose its appetite. Get very skinny. Once they get it it it's hard to get rid of, normally the calf will die. MAke sure and vaccinate your whole herd or ones who are near it or on the same pasture. Coccidious is a parasite that normal dewormers won't get. I had it effect my goats really bad one year. Go to your vet if you think it's coccidious don't wait. They normally give you something to put in their water.
Ellie May

It's called CORRID but a 2 week old calf isn't going to be drinking much water.

If it is cocidia they pass blood, then tissue, get pneumonia or someting else, then die. Is the calf's tempature going down? I never have had much sucess with over the counter stuff for cocidia. Maybe you are referring to sulfa in the water, might help. If you get it to eat a little grain that would be good.

coccidiosis is one cause of scours. The coccidia destroy the gut lining, that's what causes the bleeding and why the calf will pass blood and tissue. The calf strains and strains due to the irritation in his gut, and won't eat because it hurts. The cow's udder will be full. Antibiotics will treat secondary infection but don't work on the coccidia themselves. Treat the calf with fluids (water and electrolytes) by stomach tube, esophageal feeder, or oral syringe, every 6 hours or so. If he is to weak to stand you can try injecting sterile i.v. fluids subcutaneously, injecting 30 - 40 c.c per site until the entire litre is injected. Giving kaopectate or pepto bismal by stomach tube may slow scours and help keep him alive until his gut begins to heal. Treat your other cattle before symptoms appear.
Cryptosporidiosis is a similiar disease. Calves from 5-20 days are most susceptible, especially if they recieved inadequate colostrum. It's treatment is the same as for coccidiosis. Be aware cryptosporidiosis can affect people as well.