coccidia galore

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I thought this was going to be an easy year. Calves are all in that age - 1-2 months old. Normally I figure they get it from drinking out of the manure filled mud puddles that collect in the fall, but it's been bone dry here. I even put out bovatec tubs that they've been into.

Vet says he saw a lot of it this spring. Something to do with the type of winter and spring we had. They aren't drinking enough water to reliably treat with corrid - plus then the entire heard would be consuming post of it. Not much into "creep feed" yet. Vet says best you can do is keep an eye on them and keep water in front of them and intervene with tubing if one starts getting dopey.

TCRanch":2rcy0v7f said:
kenny thomas":2rcy0v7f said:
Hope how soon they make a long acting bolus so we can put one down the throat and forget it.
I've used Sustain & electrolytes in a pinch. Have no idea if that "cured" it or if they just got over it quickly.

I'm considering electrolytes for one I have now but he's only a month old and sustain is cautioned for calves that age for some reason - something to do with needing to be off an all milk diet and used to drinking plenty of water.

angus9259":3i7x8p3v said:
I thought this was going to be an easy year. Calves are all in that age - 1-2 months old. Normally I figure they get it from drinking out of the manure filled mud puddles that collect in the fall, but it's been bone dry here. I even put out bovatec tubs that they've been into.

Vet says he saw a lot of it this spring. Something to do with the type of winter and spring we had. They aren't drinking enough water to reliably treat with corrid - plus then the entire heard would be consuming post of it. Not much into "creep feed" yet. Vet says best you can do is keep an eye on them and keep water in front of them and intervene with tubing if one starts getting dopey.

I had it here last winter when they got congregated in the hay feed area. My calves are on creep feed already and they are only 4 to 6 weeks old. They are not eating much but they nibble at the feed. By the time coccidia is a problem, I will be able to mix Amprolium in their feed. About the only way to treat it on a large scale basis.

kenny thomas said:
Hope how soon they make a long acting bolus so we can put one down the throat and forget it.[/quote ]

They have such a thing but it isn't legal in the USA. Baycox.

Bright Raven":26zzj6pa said:
angus9259":26zzj6pa said:
I had it here last winter when they got congregated in the hay feed area. My calves are on creep feed already and they are only 4 to 6 weeks old. They are not eating much but they nibble at the feed. By the time coccidia is a problem, I will be able to mix Amprolium in their feed. About the only way to treat it on a large scale basis.

Yeah, mine are still on pasture. They usually don't have access to a creep gate till end of November.

angus9259":28o5kj6i said:
TCRanch":28o5kj6i said:
kenny thomas":28o5kj6i said:
Hope how soon they make a long acting bolus so we can put one down the throat and forget it.
I've used Sustain & electrolytes in a pinch. Have no idea if that "cured" it or if they just got over it quickly.

I'm considering electrolytes for one I have now but he's only a month old and sustain is cautioned for calves that age for some reason - something to do with needing to be off an all milk diet and used to drinking plenty of water.
There are Terramycin boluses for calves, much smaller than Sustain and I believe it's one every 12 hours. You can get them at most farm supply stores.

TCRanch":3lxa9o8u said:
There are Terramycin boluses for calves, much smaller than Sustain and I believe it's one every 12 hours. You can get them at most farm supply stores.

That part is odd to me. Terramycin is an antibiotic (bacteria killer) but Coccidia is a protozoa that wouldn't be harmed by an antibiotic.

angus9259":1cq06nrn said:
TCRanch":1cq06nrn said:

That part is odd to me. Terramycin is an antibiotic (bacteria killer) but Coccidia is a protozoa that wouldn't be harmed by an antibiotic.
Exactly

Sustain blouses are a sulfa antibiotic. Sulfas are used in other species against coccidia. The length of time you need to treat isn't practical in cattle and there are more and more rules about how much extra label use antibiotics can have. For the life of me I don't understand why the FDA won't allow Baycox in this country when it's allowed even in the EU.

angus9259":vf6zq850 said:
TCRanch":vf6zq850 said:

Gotcha, my bad. Was going with "can be used under 1 month".

We give toltrazuril (baycox) in pill for to all newborn calves as a precaution, haven't had a problem since we started a few years ago.

Latest posts