cob corn

Help Support CattleToday:

terra8186

Reaction score
I have spent several hours picking corn and I have filled up a pick-up truck. I am taking it down to the local co-op that will grind it for me. I also am having 1 to 2 pick-up loads of corn combined and shelled, which I will also make into feed. I am trying to plan out next years feed. I am raising pigs, chickens, and cattle. Would the shelled corn be better for one of these animals than the other?

I assume you're talking about having ear corn ground up for hog feed along with a little shelled corn?

I don't think the hogs care if its shelled or ear corn. In years past when my Dad raised hogs for his own consumption he had ear corn ground and the hogs thrived on it.

Save me a ham or two. :D

The hogs will eat it with out it being ground at all, would help to grind it up for pigs. Grinding the whole ear shuck and all makes pretty good cow feed.

Red Bull Breeder":37s8oipe said:
The hogs will eat it with out it being ground at all, would help to grind it up for pigs. Grinding the whole ear shuck and all makes pretty good cow feed.

Dad use to get it ground shuck and all to feed for a taming feed for his heifers. Put a little cotton seed hull and sometimes cotton seed meal to slick up the coat.

He did a better job at this than I.

Coarse ground ear corn makes good cattle feed ,fine ground shelled corn makes good hog feed . If you are using it right out of the field make sure it is dry , 15% or less , if not you could have spoilage .

Thanks for the replys. I am going to have the ear corn made into cattle feed, and the shelled corn for the pigs and chickens.

My dad use to make us pick corn when we were little. We hated it then. Now I do it for relaxation.

my grandpa use to grind the whole ear,cob and add hay, it made good feed, i wish i had some now. our neighbors had hogs and sowed some of grandpas land for a share of the crop. we gathered the corn and then let the cows have the stalks.

shorty":28imzddl said:
Coarse ground ear corn makes good cattle feed ,fine ground shelled corn makes good hog feed . If you are using it right out of the field make sure it is dry , 15% or less , if not you could have spoilage .

this is the reply I agree with.medium grind on the shelled corn for the chickens.

Latest posts