Coastal

Help Support CattleToday:

Creeksidelc

Reaction score
So hypothetically speaking if a pasture had half coastal and half common intermixed throughout and it was fertilized to soil samples and grazed rotationally leaving plenty of reserve. Would the coastal or the common bermuda eventually take over or would they probably stay the same proportions?

Depends. Coastal is a pretty robust grass and will take over if you pay a little attention to it. If it is mixed with Bahia, on the other hand, the Bahia will soon take over the Coastal. Where are you (there was a reason the grass was named "Coastal").

I think it would depend on which is more cold hardy and I don't know which one is but one of the biggest problems I've seen with Tift 85 is it is not as cold hardy as other bermudas and while other bermudas don't grow as fast as 85 small patches of other bermudas will grow when the 85 is dormant and will take over with time. So I think the one that will take over is the one that starts growing the earliest and stops the latest and my guess is it would be the common.

Thanks for the replies. I'm located in central Texas so the winters aren't too cold usually. I've got a pasture that's got a lot of common and is just a couple acres. I'm thinking about doing my own sprigging in the bermuda that's already there. Basically just run a tiller every 10 ft or so and plant sprigs while leaving the common in between.

You might be able to round up the common out before planting. I thought they were already mixed.

Some one has posted directions here before on how to round up a field in like July or some thing, disk in the winter, then sprig first of the year.

Also, look at Tifton if you are going to plant... Lots of upside.

Creeksidelc":2g7auzqt said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm located in central Texas so the winters aren't too cold usually. I've got a pasture that's got a lot of common and is just a couple acres. I'm thinking about doing my own sprigging in the bermuda that's already there. Basically just run a tiller every 10 ft or so and plant sprigs while leaving the common in between.
Shoot. That's just going to make the Bermuda mad. Best way to grow common is try to kill it. :lol:

Latest posts