Coastal field

Help Support CattleToday:

critterair2

Reaction score
Hey everybody, whats the best way to thicken a coastal field. I'm getting about 4 rolls to the acre now. I've been thinking about running a disc through it when it starts to green up in the spring. Having the disc run straight. Or let it grow a little, mow it, and then run the disc through it. Any tips would be great, thanks.

you can run a renovator over the field.that allows more moistor to get in the ground an spread the roots.

All of my neighbors have already disced their pastures. I'm trying to get one more cutting on mine before we get a freeze. I'm just waiting for the rain to cooperate. Then I'll disc mine lightly. I don't know if this is the right thing to do, but all of my neighbors are doing it.

In addition to what BC said, I'd run a chisel plow through it, one pass deep, before any fertilizer was applied. I am assuming it is being grazed and has compacted soil. If the soil is not compacted. just fertilize the heck out of it and it will do the rest. If you have never added trace minerals, boron will drive the roots deep, if added. Get some soil samples and get the conditions right.

had soil samples done, everything is fine, ph is 6.5 its just not as thick as I would like, does real well when we fertilize, has some bahia mixed in in spots that we are fighting

critterair2":2swl2t15 said:
had soil samples done, everything is fine, ph is 6.5 its just not as thick as I would like, does real well when we fertilize, has some bahia mixed in in spots that we are fighting

Are you grazing it or just baling it? My cows will pull up runners when they graze mine. That will make a difference. Bahia is tough stuff to fight.

Not the same area, but here we're told to disc lightly every 2 years to thicken the stand. Not many bermuda fields around here so I don;t know if it works or not. The theory of it is good though

Before i did anything I would get a soil test. Get the soil ph right then add N, P, and K as needed. then till if the above don't work.

just bailing it. I'm thinking the mowing it and then cutting what was mowed in with the disc would work. It's just like sprigging.

critterair2":444pg4ux said:
Hey everybody, whats the best way to thicken a coastal field. I'm getting about 4 rolls to the acre now. I've been thinking about running a disc through it when it starts to green up in the spring. Having the disc run straight. Or let it grow a little, mow it, and then run the disc through it. Any tips would be great, thanks.

Lime

critterair2":1qvcwh2t said:

Anyone bother reading this post before recommending fertilzation and lime?

How old is the stand? If its less than two years it will get thicker on its own. Also keep working on bahia. Test for a hardpan. If you got one, subsoil it. You will get wonderful results with this. (Somebody posted a good photo a while back about this. Can't remember the post though. Maybe they will stick it on this post as well or give the link.)

If cutting the runners like you plan on doing is a good way as well. I'd suggest using something like a Hay King and cut it both ways. You can also spray some Awaken on it after you do this and it will help.

What has worked for me in Texas is to fertilize, then chisel right behind it then run a disc over it, and if it still rough then run a harrow behind it. Ocourse best time to do this is right before a good rain.
Some here do it in fall but most in spring, only problem in fall is if it turns dry then real cold you may get a little freeze damage
Even if you run a disc over it with no cut on disc it should help.
May want to get a soil sample first to see what grounds needs.
Down here in my part of country the more you mess with bermuda the more it grows and spreads. Especially in my garden, just wish I could figure how to get it to not grow in garden and more in pasture.

critterair2":2k49x0kk said:

BHB is right about the Bahia. If you don't want that stuff in your Coastal field you need to get pretty agressive getting it out.

I would areate the field with chisel plow this Fall and next Spring (April in my part of Texas) apply Roundup (or equivalent) to kill the Bahia. It might stunt the Coastal for a few days but it will come back.

We disk up from right now until late Jan. Feb is too late it starts growing already.

We renovate every year and disk every third year.

Hay fields get #300 dry at first sign of green and then liquid Nitrogen & weed killer closer to cutting time.

All coastal get weed killer every year.

Shred in winter before disking or renovating if there is excess grass.

Earl Thigpen":gjn410jj said:
next Spring (April in my part of Texas) apply Roundup (or equivalent) to kill the Bahia. It might stunt the Coastal for a few days but it will come back.

I'd use Ally (Cimarron) instead. It won't hurt the coastal & you can put it out with your weed killer and/or liquid.

Latest posts