Coastal Bermuda Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Douglas

Reaction score
I have a friend that cuts a large field of coastal each year. However he seldom uses any fertilizer. The last two years he has had a lot of dead calves. Is unfertilized costal normal of poor quality even in rainy weather?

No the grass should be fine.If he had some malnurished he shoulda seen that coming.I dont think not fertilizing the coastal and the dead cows are related.Should check the protein in the hay though and supplement if needed.

Most unfertilized coastal in this area is nothing more than filler and the same for unfertilized pastures. It might look good and cut good but basically is a source of roughage only.

It could be a lot of things. If he cuts all these corners on his hay makes you wonder what else he is neglecting to do.

What is he using the hay for? (Main diet or filler for feed mix) If he is using it for their main diet and not supplementing then this could be part of the problem but I suspect this would be more evident in a poor calving percentage. I learned this the hard way myself. I used to buy "good" hay from a fella who cut every corner there was but I got it for a decent price. I had all sorts of calf health problems and a very crappy calving rate - about 70% on a 60 day schedule - but I was saving money. :oops:

I agree with what TB said and believe you can actually starve a cow with a full stomache.

we have a 50ac coastal meadow.an it hasnt been fertalized in years.an the coastal has tripled in last 5yrs.an makes alot of hay.an the coatal is the hay that every1 wants to buy if we sale any out of that field.an our cows an calves winter real good on the hay.an that field makes close to 160 bales the 1st cutting.an we rarely take a 2nd cutting less we need it.

bigbull338":2hrmm1rc said:
we have a 50ac coastal meadow.an it hasnt been fertalized in years.an the coastal has tripled in last 5yrs.an makes alot of hay.an the coatal is the hay that every1 wants to buy if we sale any out of that field.an our cows an calves winter real good on the hay.an that field makes close to 160 bales the 1st cutting.an we rarely take a 2nd cutting less we need it.

Big have you ever had the hay tested? According to the noble foundation article i found, normally unfertilzied bermuda has between 7-9% protien depending on it age when cut. Do you supplement?

weve never tested the protine on the hay.an we do not supp feed the cows.no lick tubbs.the only feed they get is if we want to sort them.an we free choice feed the hay.

bigbull338":10mtound said:

Not all property/ ground is created equall. We have places that require no fert, mineral or other supplent then there are some where it has to be kept year round.

All hay is NOT the same, regardless of variety (obviously). We learned "slightly" the hard way. We were buying local bermuda several years ago...had to spend almost as much on protein tub and cube supplements as we did on hay.

Then, we got smart...

Went to where the "good" hay was (protein tested, good leaf,etc.). The "local guys" could have cared less about the true quality of their hay...

NOW, we only buy from a hay ranch that tests their hay. Then, we re-test each load when it arrives. Been getting excellent hay in 12 to 14% CP and digestibility and NO range cubes, but we still use our protein/mineral tubs.

Surprise! Surprise! Even buying our hay out of State now...for LESS than what our locals were gouging us for!

Caveat Emptor!

Way to go Bill..smart move. Not the easiest way to definitely the best. Buy based on protein, moisture and tonnage if you have the ability to weigh the load. Amazing what you can save based on moisture alone.

Latest posts