Co-mingled sales

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
So a barn close to me is going to give this a shot next month on calves. Weaned or not.
Wonder if they will make seperate groups for long weaned calves. I guess it depends on if they have enough to put together a pot load huh? They have been real big on pushing sales of unweaned calves here lately. They've done pretty well I think. But I dont want to sell my long time weaned with a group of unweaned?? Idk.
Thoughts.....
Experiences...

I certainly agree with that!
I think if we can get a drop or two of rain on the wheat the weaned calves will jump in demand.

When your waiting on rain, days seem like years...

After re-reading my original post, I feel a need to clarify. Lol

Was more about co-mingled sales in general.
Experiences and what not.

It's a fairly new idea here. These folks will be the first, close to me, that have attempted it.
I'm gonna call the guys and see if they have any weaned calves consigned that mine would fit in with. It sounds like a good idea...

Last edited:
The theory is good. I would be concerned about the weigh up. The only one that was around here required you to drop off your calves the day before so they had time to sort them into pot loads. Nothing like co-mingling calves in a strange place to get them to shrink and stress. And what happens if they loose one?
When I worked at the sale barn, it was a nightmare if two consigners cattle got together.

The theory is good. I would be concerned about the weigh up. The only one that was around here required you to drop off your calves the day before so they had time to sort them into pot loads. Nothing like co-mingling calves in a strange place to get them to shrink and stress. And what happens if they loose one?
When I worked at the sale barn, it was a nightmare if two consigners cattle got together.
Presort calves up here are weighed on arrival and then mixed with similar calves and on full feed overnight. Shrink is determined on how many miles from the scale they came from.

One of the benefits of taking them to OKC is that they don't co-mingle which to me adds un-needed stress and shrink. Up there they pen them together with their own feed and water source. The commission company man will watch them and feed them based on how they eat.

If they are unweaned they will be fed less to keep from bloating up. If they are eating good, they get fed enough to regain their shipping loss.

The commission man will sort them as he sees best to maximize the sale price. They are weighed as a group just before they enter the ring.

I would make sure that the weaned calves are sold separately from the unweaned and hope that the stockyards actually follows through with it. It would be of no benefit at all to sell them together. We sell sometimes in commingled CPH 45 sales, or in graded Hereford influence sales, which are the same guidelines.

Who's having the comingled sale?
ELM
Still havnt called and talked to him yet.
I imagine they will have enough to sort up some weaned groups. I hope

U dont have to run em thru that way. They are marketing SOME that way. If the seller chooses to do so. They will also sell b4 the others. So kind of a premium sales spot.

Last edited:
Thanks I was curious who was doing that. I haven't been to that sale since Winters still had it.

Yes it's been a minute since Winters was there.

They have a good location there, nobody has ever really got it running as well as expected.

I'm gonna give it a go the 5th!

They'll be sorted as to like kinds and what not. The way the buyers like em from what I've seen.

Can't never did nothin'
Won't never will!

We will see if mama's right...

Last edited:
I would think it would save the buyers a lot of time. Time is money.
If they gotta sit there all day and put em together anyway I think this will work out ok
A lot of the reasoning behind the co mingled sales is that in theory it provides buyers with larger lots of similarly graded calves and the sellers with the benefit of the larger group as well as opposed to singles or small number groups.

I would think it'd help a small guy who's calves go thru the sale as singles. They usually average less than a uniform group. And it makes a long day when there are 500-800 head to be sold and a lot of onesy, twosies have to run thru.

I'm definitely going to watch the sale.
I have 2 heifers and 8 steers.
May just keep them heifers and breed em.
Heifer prices are terrible. Last ones I sold brought 1.45 and I was really pleased for 500 pound heifers. No so good right now tho

Latest posts