Clubby bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A club calf bull. Could be anything considered fit for producing club calfs.

Grand Chaser":1untgu8s said:
http://cattlevisions.com/Composite/ClubCalf_directory.php
^^those are club calf bulls

club calves are those hairy(mainly black) calves that win most all the big shows. and most cost alot.

woah there. they dont have to be black. all breeds have there own set of club calves. all they are is really good breeding that cost alot of money and they are show calves.

cattleluvr18":3ezrokcc said:
Grand Chaser":3ezrokcc said:
http://cattlevisions.com/Composite/ClubCalf_directory.php
^^those are club calf bulls

club calves are those hairy(mainly black) calves that win most all the big shows. and most cost alot.

woah there. they dont have to be black. all breeds have there own set of club calves. all they are is really good breeding that cost alot of money and they are show calves.
Not necessarily really good breeding, though that is involved. They have the look.. mainly the eye appeal that the show ring desires. They tend to be square bodied, long haired, bigger boned, etc. There are some negatives to club calves that have been discussed briefly before, though.

Jay

air_force_one.jpg

029HP00895_BULL.jpg

Obviously the 1st bull is the clubby looking one. Jay hit it on the spot. They have that look, but draw backs. I don't normally like "clubbie" heifers, but the steers I don't have a problem with because they won't be bred later on. JMO

Club calf bulls are bulls that are used for breeding show calves. The term club calf came from breeding calves for club kids (4H and FFA).They breed for the show ring look and disposition. The pictures you see for club bulls are usually done before they are a year old when they still have that look but as they age they look like all other bulls that have been out to pasture. If you were to see some of these club calf bulls at 5yrs old they look nothing like their original pictures. There's some real good genetics in the club calf bulls. Some of our club calf heifers have gone onto be some of our best cows.

SKF Show Cattle":iqupsip0 said:
Club calf bulls are bulls that are used for breeding show calves. The term club calf came from breeding calves for club kids (4H and FFA).They breed for the show ring look and disposition. The pictures you see for club bulls are usually done before they are a year old when they still have that look but as they age they look like all other bulls that have been out to pasture. If you were to see some of these club calf bulls at 5yrs old they look nothing like their original pictures. There's some real good genetics in the club calf bulls. Some of our club calf heifers have gone onto be some of our best cows.
There are some good genetics but there are also a lot of problems. I can say this confidently as a person who showed in high school and who has looked equally and unbiasedly into both aspects of the cattle world. Many of those show bulls cannot hold up in a pasture like some of the pasture born, pasture raised, "non-clubby" bulls can. Don't get me wrong, that does not mean that they all can't. I, personally, would prefer to have bull #2 in my pasture than bull #1, though.

ilfarmer92":iqupsip0 said:
They have that look, but draw backs. I don't normally like "clubbie" heifers, but the steers I don't have a problem with because they won't be bred later on. JMO
I agree with you. I don't mind clubby steers at all but I do have some issues with clubby heifers. Once again, not all of them are bred that way but many are.. and with each passing year, the show ring seems to move more and more towards a less functional, more "clubby" heifer.

Jay

Cowboy 2.0":1qi9zvmt said:
yea jay, I'd rather have #1 in my pasture.
he said #2 hun.

around here some people put good breeding into them so they will also be a good sire and not just a good bull to show.

I would like #1. # 1 will probally turn out like #2 but number 2 is just older so he is more built...

i dont know about you guys but i would much rather have a pasture full of #1s than a pasture full of #2s

does anyone on this board have a clubby bull as their herd sire?
if so how has he stood up in the pasture?

Post legged club calves will not make good pasture bulls.

We have both commercial genetics and clubby genetics. We have a Power Plus x Fear This bull has held up like any other bull we have had. The bull in picture 1 is young in a few years he will look like bull #2. Same goes for the heifers some of the clubby ones have gone on to be great cows and some don't same thing goes for the commercial cattle. When it comes calves we get more money for the clubby ones then the commercial calves because we can sell them as show calves. We just bought another "clubby" bull. He is out of Irish Whisky and a Strictly Business x Myer 734 daughter. He's only 5months old right now but i will post pics soon and then I'll post pics when he is older.

1848":8doklrr9 said:
Post legged club calves will not make good pasture bulls.

in the last couple years i have seen very few post legged club calves........maybe 4 or 5 out of all the shows i have been to

and i know that there are post legged commercial bulls also.

i would still take #1 because i know i could sell his calves easier and for more money than bull #2

thats all i have to say

I looked into buying possesion of that Air Force 1 bull. He got sold to Texas though. He has some nice calves that Ive seen. However, even if I would have bought him, I wouldn't be close to breeding him to my whole herd, or even half for that matter. I would rather have a pasture full of COWS that look like the #2 bull.