club calves

Help Support CattleToday:

a club calf is a steer that 4-h an ffa kids show.mostly its a steer show an sale.they judge all the steers.an then place them from the top to bottom.an then sale like the top 15 steers to the higest bidder.the kids get all the money for their calves except for the big shows.then they get like $50,000 of the money.

herfdog":3i2ls7n6 said:
why whould anyone pay 50,000 for a steer. what do they do with it?

PR and write off. It is usually banks or big business.

For small business:

Pay $5K and sell it to the meat market for floor price (established before by the organizers) Buyer loses about $4K and writes it off. Same buyer bid on 10 animals before he bought, which drove the price up for 9 other kids. Those kids remember. Where do you buy your gas, feed, groceries, lumbar, restaurant meals etc.? My family buys from those who support the community.

At the major shows such as Houston where the grand champion sells for over $300,000 typically, the student gets $75,000 and then the rest goes towards scholarships for other students.

Angus In Texas":jhgjqwjw said:
At the major shows such as Houston where the grand champion sells for over $300,000 typically, the student gets $75,000 and then the rest goes towards scholarships for other students.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tell me, do the buyers bid on these calves by the head, or by the kilogram/pound???

Our show steers are auctioned by the kilogram, or sold over a grid. When sold over the grid we usually get around $2 - $3.50 a kilo, when auctioned prices generally get as low as $0.80/kg and up to $6.00/kg, with the average about $1.20/kg. Long story short, you never make money off a show steer here. It is all about stud promotion. And quite often the champions get the average price while the top price steer was unplaced. All steers get sold here, as they are judged on the hooks after the hoof judging. All our shows are what you would call 'terminal'. Oh, and all our buyers are the real deal, butchers mainly, plus meatworks or farmers wanting one to put in the freezer.

I thought 50,000 was ridiculous. 300,000???

Keren":2i74ecct said:
I thought 50,000 was ridiculous. 300,000???

How about $55,000 for a pen of chickens? It happened. It is all publicity.

The County Fairs here differ in rules. Some Counties sell all the steers if the kid so chooses. Some kids sell and some go on to bigger shows such as the Fort Worth Stock Show that is going on right now.

In my home county 1/2 of the steers go to auction. The top half. A butcher comes in and guarantees a set price (say $1,00 per pound). That set price is known as the floor price. The top steers go for big money by the local banks, steak restaurant, car dealerships etc. Some times it can get really political and 6th place goes for a lot more money that 4th. Then there are the ones left. The local ag committee has fund raisers during the year. Things like raffles, a huge garage sale of donated items, stockyard bingo, things like that. Generally they rake together a few thousand and they will spread it out amongst the top half of steers selling. They'll buy the steers for something like $1.50 and sell them back at the $1.00 floor price. There are also hogs, sheep etc.

For several years running, the wife and I bought a steer from some kid who didn't make the sale (didn't make the top half) but needed to sell the steer. We'd have the steer processed. We offered floor price. Generally there are some families who do this to help out the kids who need to recoup feed expense etc. The processors are at the show picking up animals anyway. You don't have to haul it to them. They just take it straight from the fair. Other families insist on buying a steer that made the cut and placed. They might spend 30 cents over floor.

My daughters never had a desire to participate in 4H or FFA or show animals. We didn't try to influence them to do so either.

Latest posts