Club Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

TCFC

Reaction score
I went to a farm mechanization show witha bunch of friends, and picked up all of the Semex and Select Sire catalogues they had (figure, once again... if I look at enough good cows... :p ) Anyways, there is a section in the beef sire catalogues called "Club Calf" What does this mean? None of my friends knew what it meant. They were real thick-haired lookin things :shock: ...

Anyways, hope this isn't too stupid of a question for y'all!

TCFC

Club calf is something that some breeders produce so they can cheat kids out of there parents money...has no relationship to the real world of cattle feeding. Not sure if thatis the book definition but thats what it really means

The "club calf" started as small calves which was used for 4-H club projects.
Mainly steers but there are alot of heifer shows now a days as well. Yes, they have more hair than your "average" critter. They are big boned, big hippped, and in big demand here. Most of the clubby sires are a composite and used for a terminal cross. Simmy, maine, and espically shorthorn. You will see the shortys with the most hair on average. Most club calf sires will get a calf too straight. Their legs will be too posty and the slope to the shoulder too steep. That will cause problems if not watched closely. I breed club calves one generation then put a maternal bull on them for a year. This year it is red angus. Last year it was a Meyer 734 simmy son and the year before a hereford. Won't see too much of the clubby thing in the southern states, most of those states have gone to a slick show and steer jocks do not like that at all. Ohio, IN, Iowa the dakotas all pretty Big into the clubbies.

As for tapeworm's comment...there are crooked steer jocks and club calf breeders as well as crooked herf, brangus, simmy breeders. Every breed and/or organization has their bad eggs.

Hope I answered your questions.

Thanks a lot!

I looked at them, and my first thought was "oh my God, they look like poodles!".

Not a fan, ha ha ha... but that's just me ;)

Thanks again for the quick replies ;)

TCFC

be careful of those birthweights on the "clubbie" bulls. :shock:

I'm not certhefbeef, but slick shown cattle mean the show requires the animals to be shaved bald a certain time frame prior to showing, I believe they can only have 1/4 inch of regrowth hair. Sooo, the "steer jockeys" (they are the people that show or fit the steers for shows) don't like those kind of shows because there is no fitting involved, just feeding & management. Now I say that, but there is probably a lot more "tricks" of the trade I don't know about for that kind of show.
Anyway, no hair - no fitting.
The Club Calf bulls are promoted for their hair, along with other things like "freekie fronted" (super thin long neck) and super big butts. This is a very hard combination to shoot for because if they are super big in the rear, it's hard for them not to be big in the front end.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts