Club Calf Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bruiser

Reaction score
I need some advice on a bull to use to get some club calves. I have a couple of 1/2 Angus 1/2 Simme heifers. I need an easy calving bull that will hopefully keep the baldy face. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to AI them soon.

Check Semex, they carry a ton. If your heifers are TH negative, the Heat Seeker sons produce nice club calves.
Ali is a nice CE maine bull.

bruiser":2oum02ap said:
I need some advice on a bull to use to get some club calves. I have a couple of 1/2 Angus 1/2 Simme heifers. I need an easy calving bull that will hopefully keep the baldy face. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to AI them soon.

Easy calving I like Ali, I am not sure if you would get badly or not. One bull that we have had easy calving success with that is probably marked about the same as your heifer is McCarney (or McKarney ??) He is Angus x Simmental x Maine

Texas26steerjock":56tcr8nq said:
HEAT WAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heat Wave might make the list of one of the worse bulls to use on a heifer. Did you read the question or just list the only Club Calf Bull you heard of?

I have a couple cows I would like to use him on and have passed because I do not want the calving trouble on a 6 year old cow.

The Maine/Simm/Angus steers have proven themselves hard to get around, and the same cross has produced some incredible heifers. With the exception of a few bulls, you can still keep the structural soundness of the calves by using a Maine-Anjou bull. Ali, as mentioned is a good option, as well as Hard Core. However, Witch Dr. is the calving ease sire of the breed with far more successful bulls, steers, and heifers than any other. Pretty good chance of getting some color also.

*Cowgirl*":1wwj5ic0 said:
Check Semex, they carry a ton. If your heifers are TH negative, the Heat Seeker sons produce nice club calves.
Ali is a nice CE maine bull.

Before you use a bull that might be a TH carrier, please read up on the disease. It needs to be eradicated and you won't do that by breeding to positive bulls. Even if the calf doesn't show signs, it might be a carrier. I'm sure there are good TH-free bulls out there that you could use. Good luck....

Latest posts