CLOVER?

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
Is it ok to let my heifers graze on clover ? I planted a small portion of my pasture with rye & some clover. I turn them loose on it for the first time this past weekend. They seem to love the green clover & rye. Theres not a whole hell of a lot of it and its mixed with other grasses, thats starting to green up. i'm just worried about bloat? from the clover. should i be ? :cowboy:

As long is it makes up only around 50% of what they're eating there shouldn;t be a problem.

I stockered some steers last year on a pasture of medium Red mixed with Zorro tetraploid Italian ryegrass, about a 50-50 mixture.

what type of clover are you referring to? red clover is a pretty safe legume. problems can occur if it is a pure stand of red clover, or if the red clover is very lush - and the cattle tuned in on it are ready for lunch. but like Dun said, if mixed with other grasses - you shouldn't expect any problems.

white clover is not as safe. you wouldn't want to turn in cattle on a stand of predominately white clover. it is especially likely to cause bloat when thriving, lush and wet.

ROB

Bred heifers? Heed previous post, plus I'd ease them into it. Limit their time grazing especially if they have not had green grazing. Keep the hay in front of them.

1 bred the rest open, + one young bull. Yes I eased them into grazing on it. I wasn't to sure about letting them out on it. I don't think its white clover. but it is clover. So far no problems, but they love it, I only let them graze in there on weekends when i'm there to watch them. During the rest of the week they are in the regular pasture with very limited clover. thanks :cowboy:

RICHARDL":209jivgr said:
I don't think its white clover. but it is clover.

Look at the back of the leaves. If they're smooth it's white if they're hairy or fuzzy it's red

Latest posts