Clover smalls

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Had a nice stand of red clover come up this year, I've tried round baking it in the past with no luck. Since we bought a jd 346 last year we decided to give it a try. Cut Saturday, been pushing upper 90s since. Raked with the wheel rake at 7:00 this morning and was baking by 8:00. Felt damp to my hands but the leaves were starting to crisp again. 4 acres 192 80 pounders

Attachments

• FE5B0C0D-5C3D-47C0-938A-1877071CDB49.jpeg
    FE5B0C0D-5C3D-47C0-938A-1877071CDB49.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 18
Had a nice stand of red clover come up this year, I've tried round baking it in the past with no luck. Since we bought a jd 346 last year we decided to give it a try. Cut Saturday, been pushing upper 90s since. Raked with the wheel rake at 7:00 this morning and was baking by 8:00. Felt damp to my hands but the leaves were starting to crisp again. 4 acres 192 80 pounders
I don't know your area, but was it dry at 7:00 am? Also, did you tedd it?

Not to dry, leaves didn't crunch. 2 nights ago they were crunchy, I didn't have any time to worry about it, and was green on the bottom. I don't own a tedder
Do not store this inside! Wait a couple of weeks before moving into a building. I would reccomend checking the internal temp of the inside of the bales for a week or two. It can heat and combust, not worth losing a barn over. It will need time with plenty of air circulation to make sure it is safe to store in a barn or shed.

The green will most likely mold on the inside of the bale if it was baled green. Red clover takes longer to cure than grass.

In the future, rake it a second time and let the bottom of the wind rows dry out before baling.

Had a nice stand of red clover come up this year, Felt damp to my hands but the leaves were starting to crisp again. 4 acres 192 80 pounders

Obviously you didn't read my post. It was dry. I'm not worried in the least.
Obviously neither did you.
p.s.
80 pound small squares contain both a lot of hay and a lot of moisture,
you can adjust (loosen) bale compression to help avoid spoilage.

Last edited:
I don't bale in the dew, but i do usually rake clover right after sunrise. Gotta break the rollabar out to rake that!
Picking up clover bales needs to be an Olympic sport.
So what does picking up rained on clover bales need to be? That'll get you black boogers for days!

Latest posts