Clover seed mixed with P&K

Help Support CattleToday:

More of a question than an answer, but wouldn't a lot of the P and K get washed away since the ground will be partially frozen?

I don't frost seed but I always put coated clover out with what we call super phosphate (P & S). It is not freshly innoculated with the peat slurry but has that clay coating that is supposed to preserve the rhyzobia. It seems not to hurt the seed germination as evidenced when I added red clover for the first time it appeared everywhere. I find clovers good value to put out anytime, being an annual they are adapted to finding their way through the grass sward and most will have a high percentage of hard seed that if conditions are not favourable they will lie there and germinate later.

Ken

M.Magis":3kz3fclu said:
More of a question than an answer, but wouldn't a lot of the P and K get washed away since the ground will be partially frozen?
If you're spreading on bare ground, there's a better chance of it, if you get a rain before the ground thaws completely. If spreading into cover, not generally a problem. Most Nitrogen and clover is spread on winter wheat this month on the freeze. We plant triticale and rye for hay, we'll spread fertilizer this month if we can catch a good freeze. So far this winter, we can't buy a freeze, though.

Latest posts