clover hay cause bloat??

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
Is the chance for bloat less with clover hay than with cows grazing clover pasture? Found hay and wondered if it was something with should shy away from. Actually, it is crimson clover and jiggs bermuda 15% protein.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Farmgirl

ive fed clover rye an costal mixed hay for yrs. an i havent had a problem with cows bloating on hay at all. honestly ive never had a cow bloat on hay. so yes its ok to feed hay like that. ive also fed mixed wheat clover an rye for yrs w/o problems. scott

I'd treat clover hay the same way I would if I were feeding alfalfa. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't give them a bunch all at once.

I would love to have some of that hay myself!

You shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't give them a bunch all at once.

Problem is, it is round bales. Kinda hard to control how much they eat.

I think we will pass. Found some grass hay. Will probably supplement with a few square bales of alfalfa.

Thanks for the input.

Farmgirl

Farmgirl":1kgdh4m4 said:
You shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't give them a bunch all at once.

Problem is, it is round bales. Kinda hard to control how much they eat.

I think we will pass. Found some grass hay. Will probably supplement with a few square bales of alfalfa.

Thanks for the input.

Farmgirl
Once the clover is cured and baled the bloat problem should not exist, only the green growing clover should cause bloat. At least thats what I was taught and experienced. Check with your Vet for a good clear reading on the subject.

Lost one to bloat on alfalfa hay last year. Never fed clover hay - never seen it for sale here.

Lost one to bloat on alfalfa hay last year. Never fed clover hay - never seen it for sale here.
I'm looking at buying some clover hay this year so I dug this up. I almost lost a yearling bull this last fall that was on alfalfa hay but it was because he was caste and couldn't right himself on ground that was nearly flat. Fortunately I found him and was able to flip his legs around to the other side of him and he got up and farted out all his "bloat". Point is, if I hadn't actually seen this bull struggling, I would have assumed he bloated on the hay since the ground was so nearly flat.

Latest posts